Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
Koran Angle?? Pros/Cons

OK...My tank is about 90-100 gal....out of all the angles i like the koran the most...plus the price isnt bad for a juv

I know they are too reef safe...but overall....are they hardly? will it be too big of my tank? is that too much laod or if i get one will i be able to get anymore fish?

i plan to read up on them and dont plan to serious look for another month or so....but i like to pre-research

Old 08-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Sorry to say that your tank is too small for any of the large angels.
They are great fish, but need a tank about double what you are talking about.
Koran's are pretty as juvi's, but are not nearly as flashy as adults.
Also, not very reef safe.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stick to the dwarfs, as even in a pristine 210g our adult Emperor Angel perished..
Old 08-09-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
im actually goin to skip the angels...
Old 08-09-2005, 07:00 PM   #5

Schoe, it was the fish not the tank. 210 gallons is enough space for an Emperor. I don't understand the Tang and Angel Police that have such a difficult time with people who keep angels or tangs in a modest size tank. Consider some other angels before stating "Go directly to centropyge angels..."
Majestics
Regals
Asfurs

All are smaller of the large angels. Besides, aren't we splitting hairs when it comes to considering the full size of the wild environment compared to that of the home aquarium up to 300 gallons. Why would articles explain size differentiations between the wild and aquarium kept. To a certain extent and hardly inhumane to the animal kept, fish often grow to the limitations of their environment. If we wanted to really ascertain full proportions shouldn't we keep maybe 1 inch of fish per 50 gallons to truly be fair???
Old 08-09-2005, 07:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Joe, I think the manner of reasoning is about the well-being and ability to maintain the fish long-term. I understand this hobby is totally about the pleasure of the viewer (me), not the fish. If I wanted to stick a baby-nurse shark in a 45g, who is going to stop me?

Reasonably speaking a dwarf would be better suited to a smaller tank and if a non-dwarf is selected can be maintained for a similar amount of time if purchased in its youth (as it is interested to watch one mature) - but is not suggested.

No doubt the emperor perished of parasites or simply old age (fully grown, adult).

But on the matter of things, everyone can get what they want in their tank -- I'm just suggesting the pygme-fish for a greater possible success. Speaking specifically of mine and every other pygme I've observed, they are typically the most active of any other fish. Just IME - not a scientific thing.

ps. To clear any confusion, pygme and dwarf are interchangeable.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Any angel is possible at nipping at your corals. I had a keyhole that I weas told would be safe which he was for a few years. Killed my hammer a couple years ago and not had one since. Sold that one to a guy with Fish only tank. Just beware

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Joe, the initial poster looks like he (or she) has a 80-90 gallon tank. I agree a 200 gallon + tank is larger enough for most large angels. I believe Schoe (and others) were considering that in our response.
As far as "police" goes, we see many obvious instances where a tank is clearly too small for the animal in question. I (for one) will always respond in kind. Not to be nasty, but to inform the person that thay are about to make a costly mistake for both themselves and the potential pet. Many of us have "been there and done that".
Thats all.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com