Large LR storage issue, please advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feron

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi gang!
I'm a lucky bastage.. I have a friend buying a rather large tank off of someone including the LR within it (no fish or inverts).
The LR weighs in at somewheres between 500 & 700 lbs.
(looks to be a good mix of all types I've seen advertised)

My friend gave me the offer of keeping the LR (woot!) but I have a problem.. I have no idea how to store that large a quantity of rock for any length of time (talkin weeks here, not days).

I've got a decent cashflow, so going out and buying a half dozen rubbermade bins and low end heaters and pumps is not really an issue.
Plenty of salt and tubing etc etc here.

But, I guess my question really is.. What type of heating/lighting/filtration do I need for such a quantity of LR?

I was thinking perhaps a water only bin with all the heating and pumping gear (maybe an el-cheapo filter?) that fed to and from the other bins? but what about lighting needs?

I also have a skimmer handy if that needs to be in the mix somehow..

Thanks for any insight!!

If there are no corals on the LR you can skip the lighting. Sounds liek you have the rest covered.. RM tubs with heaters and powerheads thats all you need for the LR farm. Do some water testing weekly to see if you have any ammonia or nitrate spikes.
What are your plans with that much LR??

I would run each tub on its own, no need to hook them together unless you want too?? No real need for another type of filter, if it was uncured LR then a skimmer would be needed or lots of water changes..

Well I can assume it's cured, as the individual has had it for a long time..
No corals..

As to what to do with it.. I'm hoping to use some in my own tank, provide some healthy specimens to the new GA aquarium (if they'll take it) or donate it to worthy causes/people.

A little bit will be used in a new fuge for my new tank, in the coming month or so.

More worried about keeping it alive and happy for the now.

You could find a the local reef club and sell it off at a low price to make back a few bucks and it would help out local reefers by getting cheap LR.
If its from an established tank then its cycled..

RM makes some real big tubs if you have room for them... A LFS near me has some that are 6 or 7' across that they keep ther LR in.

Have a 1500 sq/ft unfinished basement that holds nothing more then a few boxes and my server rack..

I'll investigate the local reef club thing... good way to get in with some like minded people.

So, tubs, water with the normal SW stats, decent flow & heat and minimal lighting?

That's easy lol

My poor new RO/DI is gonna earn it's keep this week..

ahh one thing I forgot to ask..

In something like this, does the rule of thumb of 1-1.5ish lbs of rock per gallon still apply?

I would get a 150 gallon rubbermaid stock tank. That should hold it all, or pretty close to it, that way you only need "one set" of circulation and heating.

I live in Atlanta and I would be more than happy to take some of the live rock off of your hands. I need a pretty good amount of live rock. I have been buying pieces a little at a time, when I can afford it. You can send me an email to leland.e.hicks@accenture.com or send me a pm. I would be more than happy to work something out.

I agree on getting one large container so you can throw a mag pump or something in it instead of buying several power heads and heaters. See if you can find one of those plastic kids pools. It would be ideal and since it is round you could point the pump down the side and get a swirl going to keep good current in the whole container.
I will take about 150 lbs off your hands. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom