Last fish! Maybe a stingray?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I have a 150 (6x18 footprint) and have wanted a ray for years. I found a cortez for sale. I have an orbiculate batfish, honeycomb grouper, niger trigger, yellow tang, black edge moray, and caribbean spiny lobster. I really want a ray, and since they only get 14" with tail, I thought I would be able to keep one if I moved rock around for maximum sand space. Ik it could eat the lobster, but the lobsters like 5" long and I would get the cortez at about that size, so that wouldnt be a problem. Also, the trigger is only 4", abd doesnt pick on anybody (except me, lol). Water params are good, I have anemone and some corals. Really hope I can get this guy. Thanks for any and all help.

Man, what i know about stingrays (i dont know much) is that they need a huge sandbed, and that they are generally tough to take care of.

Other than that, i'd also say your very well stocked and that your tank will have a hard time with another potentially huge fish..JMO.

Good luck with that, make sure ALL your parameters are in check! Bought the hubby one for his birthday last year. Thought everything was in check, he had sand, low nitrates, no aggressive fish, etc etc....
Lasted a week, then gone. Now don't get me wrong I've seen some get them to adult size but haven't had them more than a year.
Hard fish to keep but if you can, I believe they are a beautiful addition to any tank.

~Mrs. McLain75~

Ya IK my tank is pretty stocked, it doesnt seem the fish are growing though and the trigs 4" groupers 7" bat is 8" tall tang is 5-6" and eel is 1.5 feet. I have a 220 skimmer and refugium and rubble and a dsb in the sump. Do you think it could last awhile in a 6x18 tank?

Seeing as they can get up to 18" across...I was reading that A LOT of people were donating their rays to local zoo's because they did get so big and outgrew their 180g tanks. :blink: I would do more research into the fact prior to any type of purchase.

~Mrs. McLain75~

Theyre cool but not real sharks. And dont they get huge? The cortezs max out at 16", right? Average size is 14" with tail, isnt it?

crister13 said:
Theyre cool but not real sharks. And dont they get huge? The cortezs max out at 16", right? Average size is 14" with tail, isnt it?

They still are as active as sharks and look like them too

How big do they get? Ive heard they max out at 3'. The cortez rays only get around 14" full length, correct? Just trying to get as much info as i can. thx for the help so far! :)

Back
Top Bottom