last HOB fuge question. i swear!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
this might be taking things to far, but here goes
can you hang a protien skimmer on the back of large HOB refugium? i was looking at a 24" model. i though i could have the output of the skimmer flow into the input chamber of the refugium. if i did this i would plug what would have been the input for refugium and let the skimmer output fill the fuge. if i did this i would support the fuge and skimmer so it wasnt really a HOB type. it would be more of a "sit behind the tank at water level" fuge-o-skimmer :D

any thoughts? pros? cons?

thanks as always for my daily dose of SW knowledge

steve r

i will to take a look at that. i was thinking of just modifying the HOB fuge and my aqua c remora to operate like that. i just wasnt sure if there was something i was missing as to why you should not do it

steve r

i would just let if low into the fuge. basically i would have to extend the input of the remora and just hang it on the back of the fuge. the extended input would have to be long enough to go over the top of the fuge and drop into the tank. i dont know if it is very practical. i was just brainstorming

steve r

I would watch out for that. I have heard a few stories about those acrylic "fuge supports" on the aquafuge being kinda weak. Adding the extra weight of the skimmer could cause a disaster. You can build a platform for the fuge to sit on though.

And if that's a glass tank, you especially want to be careful how much weight you hang on them. Remember, you've already got the weight of all that water pushing outward on the sides of the tank.

--Aquabear

I would not hang anything off an aquafuge. you could do it but you would have to support the remora from the bottom. You would want the weight of the skimmer on the skimmer support not the fuge itself.

Back
Top Bottom