Last Light Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joemama16341

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to make my final choice tonight about a light purchase. I am really sorry about asking so many questions about lights I just want to get it right the first time. I have narrowed my choices down to three different lights. My question is what would look the best in my tank for the price.

#1 Two MH 175 watt lights. Downfall is that they only come with 10k bulbs and I would have to wait to upgrade the bulbs to either a 14k or 20k. To be honest I don't know if they would look good with 10k

#2 48" Catalina 4x65. I can choice from 10k, actinics, 50.50, 6500k bulbs. This light has 3 different on off switches for the two different sets of lights and the moonlights. To be honest I am really leaning towards this light but dont know which sets of bulbs to choose.

#3 48" Jebo 220 watt lights but I am kinda leaning away from this because I know you get what you pay for. I don't really want to pay for a light twice because I bought a cheap one.

Please please please help me choose a light I promise I wont bother you guys with another light question

I would always go with MH if given the choice and you have the money. What type of unit are you looking at? In the long run, if you're doing a reef tank, you're going to want that extra light. I would say get that now and upgrade to the new bulbs later.

Definitely stay away from the Jebo lights. I have heard a lot of complaints about them because they are poorly built. As many people have noted, you get what you pay for.

Good luck with your decision!

The 10k MH bulbs will look awesome! The only problem is youneed to suppliment the tank with some antics for corals. If I were you, I would go with the MH's.

Where are you getting them, and what kind? I know Darin at captivereefs.com has some with 14k or 20k at good prices. I would go with 14k.

I'm with Tripper on this. Get the MH if your going to go reef.You would have the lighting requirments for so many more corals, anemones, and clams with MH. Plus with MH you get that awsome looking water shimmer effect that makes your tank look so much more natural.

spend the money once. Do not try and take the cheap way out when it comes to lighting it will only cost you more in the long run. MH will offer you the most flexibility and enjoyment in the hobby. PC'S are nice and work for basic corals but MH can progress with you interest level in the hobby. For a 175 watt bulb do not go higher then a 14K . The 175 watt 20k has almost no intensity to it at all and would barely support corals. the 14K or 10K would be your best bet.

I agree. get the MH and I would go wit hthe 10000k with actinic lighting for looks, it's my choice anyway. Captivreefs has some good pricing on lights and offers a discount for aa members as well, he will upgrade your bulb if thats what you want to do as well

They look fine but the reflector looks a little wierd? WOuld probably work fine though.

I was doing some research and I found the same guy has 250 watt mh's too I would be paying around 30 a light more for them should I go to a higher wattage light for the price? I am also thinking that I do not have enought room over my tank to put both a mh and an actinic light. Should upgrade the 10k bulbs now then or will they be sufficient? If I should what bulb would you recommend I order for a 175 or 250 watt lamp?

Back
Top Bottom