Originally Posted by dscount
Year later and the answer is NO. Lava rock has no value. Didn't see any growth so I think it was just taking up space.
Now that's dedication!
A year between posts just to make a follow up.
Awesome, dude. You've earned my admiration.
But.... I think I'd have to disagree with one or two things just on logic alone. (no firsthand experience like you)
A lot, if not most, central pacific reefs are built upon a foundation of millions of years worth of lava rock.
The nooks, crannies, and surface area of the lava rock would still harbor and grow the nitrifying bacteria to filter your tank water even if you didn't see coralline algae or any visible growths.
Hmmm... unless there was some other reason... like maybe an antibacterial additive or coating to keep your BBQ stones from turning moldy?
Did you use actual BBQ rocks or did you get some of the big, natural pieces from the garden department used for landscaping?