Lawn mower Blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfiereefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering how much these guys eat, I have some algae bloom behind some rocks and a bit of hair algae growing on my rocks wondering of this could support one . I like the fish and the fact that they clean up the place, but don't want one to starve

Attachments

• image-2826347256.jpg
    image-2826347256.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 109
  • image-1736602199.jpg
    image-1736602199.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 104
  • image-32349905.jpg
    image-32349905.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 101
Some wont even eat much algae. Mine pigs out on mysis, brine, blender mush (talapia, shrimp, oysters, scallops) he will he flake, pellet, anything. Only thing ive never seen him eat is sheet algae lol.

Some can be real finicky eaters tho. I know for the first few months i had mine all he would eat was algae on the back glass and rocks. Never prepared food, worried me for a bit, then one day he starting just literally eating anything. He is fat as a pig now.

Cool I have a " ok " pod supply , decent algae for him to munch on , and I have a sun coral so mysis hits the tank every 2-3 days , and a brine for the fishes as a treat once and a while ^_^ . Glad to know they can be easier than I first guessed. Hopefully I don't fine a finicky one ^_^.

be sure you replenish the pod supply often since it will diminish fast ,
they just eat and eat , I started raising my own just to keep up.
now I have a 10 gal tank split in half full of pods and brine shrimp ,
there not hard to raise at all just a bubble stick and a dark corner and a little micro algae to cling to and feed off of
never seen pods multiply so fast the brine is a close second

Mine plows through any hair algae. If you have hair algae, don't feed him and let him eat all the algae first. Then you can introduce foods to him and he'll eat that as well.

I've never had a lawnmower blenny that ate hair algae, or pods for that matter. Every one i've kept readily accepted whatever I fed the tank.

54seaweed said:
be sure you replenish the pod supply often since it will diminish fast ,
they just eat and eat , I started raising my own just to keep up.
now I have a 10 gal tank split in half full of pods and brine shrimp ,
there not hard to raise at all just a bubble stick and a dark corner and a little micro algae to cling to and feed off of
never seen pods multiply so fast the brine is a close second

So ur pod tank is at room temp with just a bubble stick for water movement ?

My lawnmower also has never touched any pods lol. They usually eat regular algae and prepared foods for herbivores. Mine happens to eat everything including mysis, brine and even clams. Not picky at all. here is a shot of mine, quite the fattie!

img_2010957_0_672995ca9ef431ebe472e172f57cc49f.jpg

Had one that wouldn't touch algae and my new guy will only eat it. He picks at my liverock constantly. He's now sifting the sand too so I'm assuming he's eating pods now. Great fish, every tank should have one...

mr_X said:
I've never had a lawnmower blenny that ate hair algae, or pods for that matter. Every one i've kept readily accepted whatever I fed the tank.

I'm glad to know they are able and willing to eat prep foods , I would like one that will do this as well, girl at the LFS said he would starve with out enough algae to eat.

I usually do a every other day feeding so if he is a hungry fellow I'm sure he will pick at some algae pods here and there.

Will all fish eat pods ? Cause my Flame angle is ALWAYS nipping at the rocks /gravel and I've wondered what's he eating since he avoids the hair algae like its spoiled milk :) lol

boardsurfer said:
Carey, that "pouch" belly is hilarious. Fat and happy! (in a non-condescending way :) )

+1 that Blenny looks like he is the happiest fish in the world .... Maybe a slim fast diet before he explodes , dose he let anybody else eat 0_0. Hahaha really nice looking fish ^_^

Thanks guys, all my fish seem to have weight issues. LOL My b/f asked me yesterday if they make diet fish food! rofl

But yeah, they will peck at the rocks for algae, mine "kisses" the front glass and leaves little kissie marks in the thin algae film before I mag float it away. I also clip a piece of seaweed several times a day in the tank, mostly for the tangs but he rips right into it too.

A healthy well fed reef tank can sustain a lawnmower with no problem in my opinion.

carey said:
Thanks guys, all my fish seem to have weight issues. LOL My b/f asked me yesterday if they make diet fish food! rofl

But yeah, they will peck at the rocks for algae, mine "kisses" the front glass and leaves little kissie marks in the thin algae film before I mag float it away. I also clip a piece of seaweed several times a day in the tank, mostly for the tangs but he rips right into it too.

A healthy well fed reef tank can sustain a lawnmower with no problem in my opinion.

I'm have no issues yet with any of my readings , still fine tuning my phosphates down ( really need a RO unit ) they are always below the .25 mark but are still giving me a slight change in color in my test. But my corals all seem to be healthy so it dose perplex me a little. Also my clam is doing fine and my scallop is 10 days in with no sign's of stress that I can notice. If the green hair algae is sucking it up I'm ok with that since I do like to look the green hair algae has when it " dances " in the water current.

So I am thinking I can support a Blenny at this point. Especially if I get one that will eat prep food ^_^.

So ur pod tank is at room temp with just a bubble stick for water movement ?

yup ,
they multiply rather quick , water stays between 76 - 78
will have to see when it gets colder outside but so far so good
I use the turkey baster to suck some up and add to main tank easier that way

54seaweed said:
yup ,
they multiply rather quick , water stays between 76 - 78
will have to see when it gets colder outside but so far so good
I use the turkey baster to suck some up and add to main tank easier that way

Man those turkey basters are awesome ! I use mine to remove canyo ^_^

Back
Top Bottom