lawnmower blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently bought a lawnmower blenny from a LFS that I have bought 2 clowns, a yellow wrasse, and snails from. I bought just the blenny on Friday night and brough him home, and introduced him to the 125 gallon tank I have. He seemed to be doing fine that night and the next day and was fairly active. However, I came home today and he is just sitting in the same spot now for about 4 hours. I think he is eating as he was scraping the brown algea off of the LR once I got him home and I have put seaweed strips in there as well and think he is eating it as well. Any idea as to why 4 days after I put him in the tank he isnt moving around? He doesnt appear to be in stress as far as breathing or anything?? Relly like the little guy and maybe he just isnt feeling well....dont know. He even let me almost pick him up before he tried to swim away. All of the other fish are ok and have not been chasing him...
thanks

also all of my levels in the tank are 0 and has been set up for about 3 months.

IMO i would of qt the blenny first. I have a lawnmower blenny hes great. How did you acclimate him?

Dewey

I qrt him to fast for sure. In less than 45 minutes. I dumped some of the water from the bag he was in added some of mine, and did this 3 times and floated the bag at the same time. He was fine for the 1st 3 days and just today isnt acting right.
Problem is I dont have a qrt tank set up yet?? Was in the process of getting this together. any other suggestions?

Have you seen the wrasse take a special interest in the blenny?

How big is the yellow wrasse and what type is it? IME, some wrasses will tolerate blennies and gobies but most won't.

Cheers
Steve

Well to late but thanks for all the responses. The blenny died last night. i think he might have had ich. Reason I think this is not one of my clowns have ich.....here we go..

Sorry for the loss :(

If the blenny died after only 4 days in the tank, C. irritans should not be the cause unless it was advanced when you got it. That would have been readily appearant by the many white spots on it's body and especially the gill area.

Few diseases or parasites will kill that quickly. If no other fish begins to show signs of an illness, I would chalk it up to the fish being in poor health from well before you purchased it. Fast acclimation could be a contributor but personally I do not think it would be a direct cause. Keep a careful watch on the remaining fish and be sure you get the QT going.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom