Leaking bulkhead help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daniel12490

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone,

I just replaced the bulkheads on my 180 gallon tank. Purchased it off a guy from craigslist. I fitted the new bulkheads and sealed them both off as this will be a freshwater aquarium. I used 1 inch ABS threaded bulkhead and capped it off with a threaded cap from Home Depot. I filled the tank and all seemed fine, no leaks or drips. I thought I was in the clear! However, a few hours pass and I check on the tank in the garage and I appear to have leaks on both bottom bulkheads coming from the seal itself. I thought with a threaded bulkhead I would not need to us any silicone. Shouldn't the the nut and gasket form a water tight seal? Do I need to silicone around the bulkhead? When I got the tank the previous owner had the bulkheads sealed with silicone within the drilled glass opening.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

do you have rubber seals between the glass and bulkheads could be why the other guy used silicone he didn't have them ,
if there leaking through the threads wrap a little Teflon tape around them that screw them together may help

By rubber seal do you mean a gasket? If so, I have that on the inside of the tank. I also used Teflon tape on all my threads to ensure a tighter fit. Maybe I over tightened and am causing the gasket to not sit properly anymore? Now come to think of it, when i removed the bottom bulkheads he didn't have a gasket, just a think round ring that looked translucent.

do you have rubber seals between the glass and bulkheads could be why the other guy used silicone he didn't have them ,
if there leaking through the threads wrap a little Teflon tape around them that screw them together may help

Is it leaking around the bulkhead or the caps you put on ? Did you put Teflon tape on the threads where the caps are ? May have over tightened . Just need to hand tighten and then a 1/4 turn with a wrench or pliers .

It looks like it is slowly dripping from the bulkhead near the glass. I did use Teflon on all my threaded connections. Maybe I'll try and loosen it a little bit and see if that fixes the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom