Leaking tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 125 that has sprung a leak and have had to drain the water down to mid point in the tank, and turn the sump off. So Im left with about 50-60 gallons of water in the tank with 90 lbs of LR and 5 small fish, CC as substrate, 2 anenomes, 3 shrimp. So far the tank is holding up. I have patched the hole but will not be able to fill it back up and return to full go as the tank side and front are pulling apart....tank will not hold up. SO, I have PH running and breaking the waters surface, stable temp, and levels. My questions:
1) should I still do water changes as usual? Im afraid to as I have drained off half of the "good water" and worry about a spike. I will have to leave the tank as is for about another 1-2 weeks while I prepare another one.
2) Any precautions I should take other than not feeding to much?
3) anyone know of any good artilces published on moving and existing tank?
Any and all advice is appreciated. Dont want to lose my last 1-2 years work.

IMO, I think you would want to do more frequent water changes as you have just lost half your water volume, ALL of the benefits of your sump, but still have a full bioload. Those levels are going to become much more concentrated quickly. I would say test every couple of days and at the first sing of a rise, do a water change.

We do have an article about moving a FW tank. Many of the steps and precautions are the same with SW. Should get you started in the right direction: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=28

also, I think someone here posted a complete description of a whole tank move they did when moving into a new house. Do a search, hopefully you'll find it.

good luck and keep us posted!

If the tank is glass use 100%silicone to seal the leak. If it acrylic you have to use weld-on(i forget what type). caulk the spots and let it dry for a few hours. That should last long enough till the new one is ready.

Back
Top Bottom