leaking tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

troutman11111

Aquarium Advice Freak
any one know of a underwater glue to repair a leaky tank. it's a glass tank 30 gal just sand is in the way? 3in salt creep along the bottom tells me where it's at. no one wants to take down there baby. :( thanks troutman11111

You have no choice but to tear it down. Silicon is the only adhesive that will work, but it can't be used when the glass is wet.

leaky tank

i don't like the sounds of that, i'm going to try that epoxy cement, that you stick coral on.thank [/code]

Duct tape.. heheheh

lol nah i dun think even ducktape can save you now..

well its worth a shot.. if so that be use #234234264534534534241 for ductape :)

JOKE!

Jacob

Re: leaky tank

troutman11111 said:
i don't like the sounds of that, i'm going to try that epoxy cement, that you stick coral on.thank

Seriously I suggest you drain the tank as Bob suggested. this is the only correct way to fix a leaking tank. That expoy is not made to be water proof. Its made to glue two things togetehr and to hold underwater. its not made to keep a water tight seal.

Are you sure its a leak and not some salt creep from some spilled water?

You probably need a new tank. If the crack is near the bottom then the whole thing could give out any minute. No pressure ;)

Honestly, it could completely dump on your floor at any time.

leaky tank

yea i know buy another tank. thanks all, if only someone would come up with a way to seal a tank without taking it down. hell we put a man on the moon. this happend about 7 yrs ago when i did't have as much coral and fish. its leaking in the front bottom of the tank and right side bottom. if i clean off the saltcreep it's there the next day so i'm just leaving it alone, the leak is super slow when you leave the saltcreep there.

leaky tank

almost forgot i just love the ductape idea, i remember when we would ductape just about anything and it worked! when i get my tank i'm thinking rocks in 1 bucket,fish in another coral in the 3rd.the sand /agonite bottom just dump in the new tank and rinse with old tank water, putting it back would be rocks most water wait for things to settle down corals and fish snails ext ext. does this sound like a plan or i'm i missing somthing? thanks 8)

You probably need a new tank. If the crack is near the bottom then the whole thing could give out any minute. No pressure

Honestly, it could completely dump on your floor at any time

I disagree bang guy.

I had a 29 tank which had a crack running across the entire bottom (it was sat on a "pebble" and filled with water outside to clean it.. thus cracking it) I siliconed both sides and made my own stand for it (it was made of 2x4s and had 2 sets of 3 supports.. one in the middle and one on either side) and the tank worked great for a yr till I moved it to a 15 for lighting issues.

Jacob

Jacob Morgan said:
You probably need a new tank. If the crack is near the bottom then the whole thing could give out any minute. No pressure

Honestly, it could completely dump on your floor at any time

I disagree bang guy.

I had a 29 tank which had a crack running across the entire bottom (it was sat on a "pebble" and filled with water outside to clean it.. thus cracking it) I siliconed both sides and made my own stand for it (it was made of 2x4s and had 2 sets of 3 supports.. one in the middle and one on either side) and the tank worked great for a yr till I moved it to a 15 for lighting issues.

Jacob

For all the more that these tanks cost, do you really think that it's worth taking a chance on ruining your carpet, floor, stand and everything else saltwater would pour onto? Not to mention all the livestock in the tank which could die if this thing burst when no one was home.

Use some common sense people!

BTW, it's not very hard to repair broken tanks. Though sometimes it's cheaper to just buy a new one, and used tanks can be found very easily.

I would not had used the tank unless I felt safe about it.

I do not believe in throwing money away if something you have can work. now on the other hand I do not agree with using something that is dangerous to your or fish or your property.

So yes I think I used a lil common sense. :lol:

Jacob

Back
Top Bottom