Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

leaky biocube!

My 14 gallon biocube has a leak at the top where the acrylic meets the black plastic. It's not that bad but I don't want it to get any worse. And I would really like to get it fixed. What can I do? Is there a type if sealant that's safe for my fish and inverts? Suggestions? Please and thank you

26 Gallon Bowfront. Clownfish. Six-line wrasse. Coral Beauty. 2 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 2 Emerald Crab. CUC. || 36 Gallon Bowfront. Snowflake Clownfish. Six-line. Watchman Goby. Harptail Blenny. 4 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 4 Emerald Crabs. CUC. || 29 Gallon. Pair of Snow Onyx Clownfish. Watchman Goby. Pistol Shrimp. Small CUC.
sstanle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

GE Silicone I is what I use for everything.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can also use weld-on solvent (forget which exact solvent #). It's a plastic solvent that will fuse acrylic together in a short amount of time. It's completely inert and i use it on my diy reactors.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you are going to use GE Silicone I, you need to rough the area before applying the silicone because it will just peel off once cured. I learned the hard way when I applied it to some plexiglass.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do I put it on the inside or outside of the tank? And does it have to dry for an amount of time? (Will I have to turn the pump off for the water level to go down until it dries?)
26 Gallon Bowfront. Clownfish. Six-line wrasse. Coral Beauty. 2 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 2 Emerald Crab. CUC. || 36 Gallon Bowfront. Snowflake Clownfish. Six-line. Watchman Goby. Harptail Blenny. 4 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 4 Emerald Crabs. CUC. || 29 Gallon. Pair of Snow Onyx Clownfish. Watchman Goby. Pistol Shrimp. Small CUC.
sstanle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstanle4
Do I put it on the inside or outside of the tank? And does it have to dry for an amount of time? (Will I have to turn the pump off for the water level to go down until it dries?)
Silicone needs a few days to cure. I usually go about 72 hrs before getting it wet. Shouldn't be a huge deal, just lower water levels.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, put a small bead on both the inside, and outside of the tank and lightly smooth it out to get air bubbles out and let it cure for a few days. To rough the area up, use a Scotch Brite, it doesn't have to be too roughed up.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a 20g with a giant crack in the back and scotch tape worked,so before spending a lot of money try tape first,easy cheap fix
Old 06-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Was the crack leaking???? I wouldn't really trust tape with 20 gallons of water lol.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

It was leaking until i taped it,as long as you smooth out the air bubbles and leave no spots for water to escape

Tags
bio, biocube, cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com