Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

leather coral

I picked up this leather from petco yesterday and noticed that I think it has cyano on it. So i placed it in my 3 gallon aside from my 30 to do chemiclean on it. Dose it look like cyano? On the tips its a bit pinkish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02438.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	94873   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02439.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	94874  

Old 05-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I dont see cyano. I see a stressed out leather. What are your parameters and lighting/schedule?

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just got it at petco yesterday and it was in that condition. I has s kind of a pinkish tint on some parts. I might move it back to my 30 if its not cyano.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cyano is eveyones tank, even yours already. Using a chemical on it will not solve anything. I see no cyano. Keep the leather under proper conditions and it will do ok. Changing it between 3 different tanks in a short period does not help either.

Cyano grows as the result of nutrients, stop using chemiclean. It will not solve cyano issues and it stresses out the tank. Chemicals and reef tanks dont mix.

Ive seen people use chemiclean and it wipes out fish etc. only to have the cyano come back at some point shortly after or algae grows in its place. Just trying to give you the headup. Cyano is not an infection that will spread because it is present on a coral it requires nutrients just like algae to grow. If you have no nitrates and no phosphates then you wont have a problem.

If cyano would be present on the coral which i do not see that it is, then simply siphoning off the cyano will be sufficient so as to not inteoduce thise bound nutrients into your tank.

Tags
coral, eat, leather

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com