Leather Coral And Toxins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wow been a long time since I been on here. This cancer is kicking my butt. But I have a question. It might be a dumb question but do leather corals excrete toxins or do they have to be close to a coral to release it. I have some ricordias that were fine until I added 2 green neon leather corals. I stopped using carbon for some dumb reason and I'm thinking since I stopped using carbon the toxins are aggravating them. Maybe I'm wrong. Haven't kept leathers in a long time.

BEFORE THE LEATHER CORALS
2yjyec4.jpg

AFTER THE LEATHERS

246nzi1.jpg

Yup, Leathers sure do produce and release toxins. This stunt the growth of near by corals and adversely affect other more sensitive corals. Running carbon in the system will keep these relatively low.

So what would you use as a carbon source?
Edit- we're talking activated carbon here huh?

Last edited:
This is something that makes keeping a mixed reef difficult. As corals start to encroach on each other, they get defensive. Just last week I watched a great show on BBC, a blue earth I think, that focused on corals and them not liking each other. Showed some brain corals using their sweeper tentacles to consume their neighboring coral. The same goes for soft corals. Unlike stony corals, they don't have these sweeper tentacles so they utilize chemical warfare to keep things at bay.

If heavily stocked and little room to grow as that’ll be what causes corals to wage war for territory.
But with all things, some are more aggressive than others.

Back
Top Bottom