Leather coral happiness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a finger leather coral a week and a half ago and I am not too sure about the signs they show when they are happy with their placement or not. It is a lot different from the zoanthids and mushrooms that I have so I'm not really sure what I am looking for, if anyone has some insight it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a devils hand leather and been asking the same question. I've been told high flow high light. And just leave it be.. It will take a little bit for it to become comfortable ..

As you can see by my leather I have it about 2-3 inches from powerhead to remove excess skin. (They like to shed). Leather sits at highest point in tank for lighting. Hope this helps with placement!:cool:

Attachments

• 559237_10151014109354940_1630313397_n.jpeg
    559237_10151014109354940_1630313397_n.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 187
I'm going to turn my power head directly above it.. It just won't stand up

How long have you had it? My leather took 2 weeks to open fully in its new spot. When it becomes happy it will stand and open fully, also try using powerhead to blow leather off. Just becuase you dont see excess skin dosent mean there is not any irritating it.

I've had it for over 2 months. Moved it 4 times to find a spot it may like... It opens up.. Not many polyps come out. But it just lays on its side

image-3256074641.jpg

Humm... not a happy leather at all. If the leather is attatched to the back rock I would try propping it up with something or leaning it up against the back of the glass. What do you feed your corals? Lighting?

It's attached. But if I prop it up. It just lays down the other way.. I did cut the bottom of it off. It was attached to rubble . So I razor knifed the bottom 1/4 " .. But it should be ok by now... The piece I cut off I shoved in a rock and its already grown about an inch... So the big one is just mad at me.....

As you can see by my leather I have it about 2-3 inches from powerhead to remove excess skin. (They like to shed). Leather sits at highest point in tank for lighting. Hope this helps with placement!:cool:

Beautiful tank!

I managed to get a few pictures of my leather coral. so figured it'd be a good idea to post them.

This is about what I expect it to look like.

75748-albums12252-picture56887.jpg

This is how it normally was in that location, Seemed to be sagging a bit

75748-albums12252-picture56888.jpg

This is its new location, It was opened up a little bit more about 2 minutes before I took the picture but by the time I got the camera it looked like this.

75748-albums12252-picture56889.jpg

i have another leather coral that looks about like the last one posted. and its fully extended out standing up and polps out like crazy.. i moved it into the first spot i had my devils hand and it got even bigger.. put the devils hand in the place where the other leather was and its still on its side. i turned up the flow last night on it . so ill see today if its getting any better after work...

Thank you for the nice comment... since I had my leather I run t5 lighting and feed oyster feast daily... make sure they have plenty of light and heavy flow torwards the top and not the base.

Also, when I got my leather I had placed it originally in the sand bed and it was not happy at all. I moved it up to the highest point by itself for max light and flow and found it open the next day. Its a good thing leathers are very hardy corals!

That was a 55 gallon with 20 gallon ref. That tank was torn down and moved to a 105 gallon with 55 gallon ref.

My devils hand is my oldest coral. Its at the bottom of the tank, in the shade in an almost no flow area and it opens huge with full polyp extension every day. It is also 10 times the size that it was when i got it....

Back
Top Bottom