Leather Coral not like it used to be...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sneaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I moved about 3-4 weeks ago and everything in my tank is doing fine except the leather coral.

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions "if any" about something I could do to help it. It used to be 3 times the size it is now and sometimes gets bigger but no where close to the size it was before the move.

I have been keeping up my normal routine a far as water changes and feeding, I have also tried to research leather corals to make sure I am keeping it right.

leather.jpg

From your profile....

30 gallon glass/2 20watt corallife bulbs

If that is still accurate, then the problem is your lighting. For a 30 gal tank, 2x65w PC's would be about the minimum I would recommend for this type of coral.

Can't tell by the pic, is it a Sarcophyton or a Sinularia? (yellow?)

Cheers
Steve

I have 2 30w corallife bulbs running at the moment, when I bought the leather coral the guy at my LFS said thay would be fine. Is lighting the issue?

Sneaker said:
Is lighting the issue?
For the most part it will be (depending on water specs). Corals of this type are heavily dependant on zooxanthellae for their nutrition which is derived from intense lighting. Some corals may "survive" under less intense lighting but they rarely thrive. The condition you are relaying suggests the coral is wasting, in essence starving.

What other corals do you have?

Cheers
Steve

when I bought the leather coral the guy at my LFS said thay would be fine.
These are the last guys to believe. Best to research the corals yourself and ignore the "advice". (note: some LFS are reputable but they are the exception) For a reef tank one of the fundamentals is intense lighting. You won't be successful without it.

steve-s said:
What other corals do you have?

Cheers
Steve

Red and Blue Mushrooms, Green Button Polyups, and a Star Polyup, I realize my lighting is low and that's why I buy corals that do not require intense light. My LFS has been good about suggesting corals to me that is why I am puzzled.

Maybe that is the case, "the lighting" I was going to upgrade to my 75gal and new lights in July but I found out I have an old friend that works for a tank and lighting company and I can get cost so I will be upgrading in 2 weeks.

While the new tank cycles I will take some of the lights and mount them on my current tank, hopfully that will help.

Just upgraded to a Coralife Aqualight 36 inch 2x96 w Power Compact, hopefully it will help the coral recover.

Should help considerabley but considering the jump in intensity, you may want to cut back the light duration to ½ for the first week. Then slowly increase the time by ½ hr every day or two until you get back up to where it was before. This will allow your corals to adjust and at the same time reduce any potential algae outbreaks.

Cheers
Steve

Good advice Steve, I was actually thing about this. I have adjusted my timers accordingly.

Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom