Leather Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rndy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I have a 14 Gallon BioCube with initial filtration and everything. I have a heater and my nitrates are perfect.
But I have leather corals that fairly odd. One will shrink and turn white but will always straighten and become purple color. The biggest will lean completely over but will straighten up and look normal. The medium one will always be normal but from time to time it will lean for just a few hours a week.
Currently there is 1 cleaner shrimp 3 naciasrius (I'm horrible at spelling) snails 1 false percula and a red sea star.
Can someone give me advice with my coral!! Please.

Thank you!

Hi there! Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure how helpful it is, but my leathers do some strange things too. One day some will lean and then just bounce right back the next day. Overall I think if they look healthy you should be ok. is there any flow that is blowing on them? maybe that is helping them lean a bit. :)

What is your sg? I find when mine is either a little to high or low some of my leathers act weird. If I don't top off my tank just right it effects the leathers before anything else in the tank.

Here is a Picture of my corals the middle one is the one that will completely turn white and shrivel up but now it's opening.

Attachments

• image-2426530752.jpg
    image-2426530752.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 136
And thanks guys I'm moving my them to the back of the tank do they have less water flow.

How would I space them out that is how they came.

Okay. I moved the output nozzle away from my coral. My clown was not happy my hand was in his tank. He is so cute haha

Coral looks so much better. They haven't leaned since they moved. They haven't open fully yet but they look great. Thank you everyone!!

What type of leather is that almost looks like an sps? The finger leather i have limps like crazy once a week or so but bounces back bigger and taller each time, it might be too much flow but it always gets right back up.
Before and after
image-2447059036.jpg

image-1202461759.jpg

I was wondering about the picture of yours looks cool almost like an sps. Everyone has been telling me the one i have is a finger leather?? You say a colt?

I'm not quite sure cause when I bought mine the sales person said leather. Would anyone say other wise??

Photobucket had this picture calling it a finger leather?? Looks alot like mine

image-2175787131.jpg

Sniperhank said:
That appears to be a colt coral. Or maybe a christmas tree...but it looks more like a colt to me.

Def not a chrismas tree. A Christmas tree has to be in the sand bed to survive. I can not be glued to a rock. Here is a pic of mine. I also have a finger leather and it doesn't look like that. I will post a pic of it when I get home. Well I have an old pic of it. I will post an updated 1.

ForumRunner_20120118_170408.jpg

ForumRunner_20120118_170449.jpg

I researched and I came to a conclusion that my coral is a Kenya tree coral.

Back
Top Bottom