Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

leather corals dengerous?

Hello and happy new year! I have a problem and i ask you for help. I have 90 gal. tank <reef and couple fishes> My water parameters are; amonia-0, nitrite-0 nitrate-0 calcium-480, alkalinity-6 mq/l, magnesium-1280, Ph-8.2.I have many mushroms,zoas,acropora, montipora,galaxia,dorsea clam, xenia,hammer,brain. Today there is a problem. But today my stony corals < hammer, plate,bubble> are not good, they shrink and looks like they not happy and montipora has some spots like bleaching.I read on internet and maybe that is the problem. In my tank i have 6 inch toadstool leather and 3 small frags, 5 inch toadstool, 5 1 inch frags of soft leather coral, and 3 inch green nepthea leather coral. It is my fault that i did not check that before. I read that they sprey toxin into water sometime and that hurts other corals mostly stony corals which explains everything.<hammer, plate. bubble> You think that is the reason? Should i sell them and leave only one or two? Is this to much for 90 gal. Or maybe there is something else? I know it is hard but please help. I checked my parameters and everything is the same exept nitrate -20. Is that toxins made my nitrate high? Please help!!!!!

Old 01-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im more worried of your Alk. Its almost 17dkh which the normal range is 9-12DKH.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm sorry, my bad. Alklinity by sachem test is 4 mq/l which is i think 11.2 dkh.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh ok, thats ok then. It is possible then the leather is releasing chemicals. What happened before the corals started looking bad?
Old 01-10-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Two days ago my bubble coral, hammer coral and long tentacle plate coral starts shrink and they are never fully open since then. before they looked great, very big and open. And i read on internet that if leather corals release those chemicals the stony corals are most sensitive. That is why i think that maybe the reason. Also my montipora corals < brown and green shows some white like bleaching spots>. It is frustraiting to not know the reason for sure!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

well you can always try to run carbon see if it helps if you think that the leather corals are doing it
Old 01-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Leathers can wage chemical warfare with other corals but the other corals would have to be pretty close. As far as your nitrates I would consider how and what you are feeding and your tank bioload. I`ve had several leathers for over 8 yrs and never had a problem. PWC`s and GAC will help to take care of any problem they might they might cause no matter how small the risk. Leather corals are not dangerous.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, corals, eat, leather

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com