leather corals dengerous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello and happy new year! I have a problem and i ask you for help. I have 90 gal. tank <reef and couple fishes> My water parameters are; amonia-0, nitrite-0 nitrate-0 calcium-480, alkalinity-6 mq/l, magnesium-1280, Ph-8.2.I have many mushroms,zoas,acropora, montipora,galaxia,dorsea clam, xenia,hammer,brain. Today there is a problem. But today my stony corals < hammer, plate,bubble> are not good, they shrink and looks like they not happy and montipora has some spots like bleaching.I read on internet and maybe that is the problem. In my tank i have 6 inch toadstool leather and 3 small frags, 5 inch toadstool, 5 1 inch frags of soft leather coral, and 3 inch green nepthea leather coral. It is my fault that i did not check that before. I read that they sprey toxin into water sometime and that hurts other corals mostly stony corals which explains everything.<hammer, plate. bubble> You think that is the reason? Should i sell them and leave only one or two? Is this to much for 90 gal. Or maybe there is something else? I know it is hard but please help. I checked my parameters and everything is the same exept nitrate -20. Is that toxins made my nitrate high? Please help!!!!!

Oh ok, thats ok then. It is possible then the leather is releasing chemicals. What happened before the corals started looking bad?

Two days ago my bubble coral, hammer coral and long tentacle plate coral starts shrink and they are never fully open since then. before they looked great, very big and open. And i read on internet that if leather corals release those chemicals the stony corals are most sensitive. That is why i think that maybe the reason. Also my montipora corals < brown and green shows some white like bleaching spots>. It is frustraiting to not know the reason for sure!!!

well you can always try to run carbon see if it helps if you think that the leather corals are doing it

Leathers can wage chemical warfare with other corals but the other corals would have to be pretty close. As far as your nitrates I would consider how and what you are feeding and your tank bioload. I`ve had several leathers for over 8 yrs and never had a problem. PWC`s and GAC will help to take care of any problem they might they might cause no matter how small the risk. Leather corals are not dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom