Leather lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just upgraded my lights from pc's up to the outer obit led,hqi,pc setup. I have two leathers towards the top of my tank as well as a cappanella(sp). My question should I readjust the positions of the corals or will they be fine with the increase of light. :?: Thanks in advance guys!!

BTW.... So far the new lights are AWESOME with the exception of them being a little bulky.

I would recommend laying at least two layers of screen on the top of the tank. This will provide some shade from the intensity of the new HQI's until the corals can adjust. Remove one screen every 5-8 days and monitor the corals closely for stress. Light acclimation can be very stressful, especially for lower light corals. This "screen method" works best IME.

I was going to say that light acclimation will be a big deal. MT gave you a good idea. Just be prepared to move if you have to. What type leathers are they?

I put up one screen and have a glass top that was just introduced as well. Im hoping that works and have been closely monitoring the corals for stress but so far everything looks GREAT. Any heads up on things to look for with the stress would be appreciated though.

Just be careful of glass top as they are known for PH drop due to poor gas exchange.

one hairy toadstool and another that I havent seen before that I got from a fish store a few hours away. No one there could id it and it ended up looking great. Its deep red with dimples and white spots. Any ideas on what that might be?lol

Take a pic of it and post it on the ID forum. If you cant get a pic just write down a description and post it there also. We have some excellent ID people on that forum.

Thanks as always guys! And as far as getting the pics, maybe you can help me out in the other thread...... My camera decided it was time to go and now I'm looking for a new one.

MT79 said:
Poor polyp extension, shriveling, excessive slime, loss of color, etc.

They will do this every once in awhile anyway. It`s called sloughing. But if it stays the way that MT79 says for an extended time then it probably is the lighting.

melosu58 said:
MT79 said:
Poor polyp extension, shriveling, excessive slime, loss of color, etc.

They will do this every once in awhile anyway. It`s called sloughing. But if it stays the way that MT79 says for an extended time then it probably is the lighting.

My toadstool has been sloughing for 2-3 weeks... it can't take my MH lights. I have it right at the bottom and it's still too much. Just hoping it slowly adjusts (all the other corals have)

Point is - it's sitll alive. I think these toadstools are impossible to kill. I've tried everything for it... now it's slightly shaded so I'm hoping it will be happy.

The hairy toadstool looks great and teh polyps are reaching farther than ever. The other one seems to have stretched out when it wasnt getting the light it needed so now Im hoping that it will come around!!!

Back
Top Bottom