Leaving town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am leaving town for a week, I have a 10 gallon SW that is fully stocked (2 o. clowns) and a 29 gallon that is being built (all the sand, 2 lbs of LR, and a small damsel) In 4 days I am leaving, should be gone for 6. I am not so worried about the damsel to be honest, I am though slightly worried about the 10 gallon, namely the o clowns and the ricordia. Aside from having someone come over and take care of the tank (which in this situation isnt possible) Is there anything I can do, or should I not even worry?

Wow....I would be worried with tanks that small...I left my 72g reef for 6 days but it is almost totally automated. Why is someone coming over out of the question? where do you live?

It is spring break, I live in an on campus apartment, doors are locked, and the only two people that I could trust and could get access are leaving town as well

Evaporation is going to be your biggest issue with the 10gal. I would cut the lighting back to about half and make sure the tank is full before you leave.

lando said:
Evaporation is going to be your biggest issue with the 10gal. I would cut the lighting back to about half and make sure the tank is full before you leave.

Even then I wonder if it will make it. Is there anyway you can get someone to come in the middle of those days and add water.

I can seal the tank off some more, and just hope that the oxygen exchange in the filter is enough? It normally only drops an inch in a week though,, and the SG goes up about .003

I was more worried about food than water evap

I would say can you rig some kind of ato with timers like a lift pump place it on a timer for 5 minutes aday . Also This is where I would say like was suggested turn the lights to 1/2 . I would also say glass top with an air stone pump to keep the air movement if possible or break down to a tote bin and travel with it if possible?
Also you said your are on campus apartments how close are you to the apartment , would campus security/police let you enter mid week to check on it with poper ID

Back
Top Bottom