Led diy kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zbatey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Poking for the best diy kit for price and performance for my ninety gallon. If anyone knows of a fixture I am still interested.

for a reef? it's going to cost you somewhere around 400 bucks to do it right. at that price, you might as well spend a couple extra dollars and get something premade.

Agree, I know two people who did DIY LEDs and both of them wish they had just gone with a high end premade fixture.

I'd like to know what store bought LED system is good for a 90 for 400-600. I haven't seen anything myself for that range of money that people have good things to say about...

I do agree that AI SOL is a good LED to get... but for a 90 you would need two of their units and they are still being listed for 626 each... so that is over 1200 to light the tank.

If I could afford it, I would buy the AI SOL. My wife would likely kill me though...

Wow, that is good to know... I'm sure a LOT more people will buy them with that price tag than what did before.

mr_X said:
they are coming down in price. the SOLs are coming down to 400 each.
http://reefbuilders.com/2011/09/09/ai-sol-phoenix-led-light-aquaillumination/

Hey Mr x, those new phoenix fixtures obviously have less LEDs (20) opposed to the sol's 24. They have the same # of blues, but 4 less whites. But it looks like the center white has larger optics. Also the LEDs must be higher wattage, since the phoenix is 75 watts for 20 LEDs while the sol is 72 watts for 24. Different LEDs as well. I'm wondering why these new fixtures will be more expensive than the sols? I'm mainly concerned because I just put an order in for the super blue sols yesterday. Wondering if I should call and halt the order for a few weeks. What's your opinion when comparing what we know about each fixture?

i don't have enough information to give you an educated answer. all i know is what the link says- that they are wireless and have a web interface.
if it was me, i'd go for price.

Back
Top Bottom