Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

LED diy question

Has anyone tried waterproof automotive led strip lights in the reef aquarium? You can get 16 ft of it for around $20. They are super bright 5050 smd and some have an rgb chip that allows them to change colors and are dimable. Please advise....

Old 07-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

i saw them on ebay, i was told that if you want a brighter tank, thats fine luminus lighting, if you want better lighting for corals, (par) , its not the way to go

Old 07-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

What if I mixed blue and bright white? The blue would penetrate deeper right? I read quite a few articles on lighting and I get most of it, but still a lil lost. I'm Against MH. expensive to run plus I would have to invest in a chiller and/or a bunch of fans in the hood. I don't want an open top cause I want jumpy fish... eventually.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

i made my own light set up with gu10 3 watt blue, and white leds, which i bought on e-bay for 4 dollars apiece, i guess luminus lighting won't help corals,
Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by biss444
i made my own light set up with gu10 3 watt blue, and white leds, which i bought on e-bay for 4 dollars apiece, i guess luminus lighting won't help corals,
How much and how big was your diy fixture
Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would go with the high power LEDs , like 1w and up emitters. I don't know the science behind this, but I do know all of the aquarium light manufacturers use 1w and up emitters, and I'm sure they would use the much cheaper smd 5050 or other strip LEDs if they were good for corals. I built my own led fixture using 10w hybrid ( blue and white on the same emitter) LEDs and am very pleased it cost me around $2 per watt to build so I have 90w and it was about $180 for the materials. I replaced a 250w metal halide and 4x t5ho
Old 07-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

my light is hanging from ceiling over 200 gallon tank, 5ft long 2 feet wide, have 76 leds under, in four rows alternating blue and white, all four rows are wired seperately. all hooked up to a timer,ave cost was 4 dollars for every 3 watts, 76 lites.around 300 dollars for bulbs, got them on e-bay,.the inside of my light is lined with aluminum, to reflect more lite, actually have more lights on order, have room underneath for a couple more rows, so totalcosts including, lights, sockets, chain, wood, is about,450, dollars .
Old 07-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

forgot to say every bulbs is 3 watts.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have and still use them waterproof auto led's but only for moon lighting. It worked well, but when talking about lighting needs for corals it dosnt matter how many strips u use it will not work
paulweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulweck
I have and still use them waterproof auto led's but only for moon lighting. It worked well, but when talking about lighting needs for corals it dosnt matter how many strips u use it will not work
Which auto ones do u use for moon lighting?

Tags
diy, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com