Led intensity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anthonygaliazzo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got my 165w dimmable led recently and i was wondering on what percentage should i run them in order to grow hard sps such as acropora? My tank is a 35 gallon 18" high and my leds are 10" from the surface.

You will need to light acclimate any sps corals you get. Once you have them moved up under that intensity if they start to brown you need to increase light and if they bleach you will need to decrease. That intensity seems like a good place to start but you probably don't even need it that high.

Light acclimation is after touve dripped them and got them in the tank. Basically, I start mine at the bottom of my tank. Give them about a week there and then move them to where I want them. This gives their zooxanthellae time to adjust themselves to the light intensity. My tank is about the same height as yours I believe.

Dead corals lol. I've fried an acro or two from not light acclimating.

Well I usually leave lps and softies at the bottom so I don't but if you were gonna put them high then it does. You will melt softies giving them to much light. Lps will bleach and die as well. Light acclimation is crucial ime.

Assuming you light acclimate everything you could run the lights at close to 100% without problems. My 20g has the lights at about the same height without issues.

Back
Top Bottom