Led light help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogeymc6

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi y'all the UPS man just delivered my led light for my 29 gallon reef tank! I'm in my almost 3 week of the new tank cycle!

This is the one I got from Ebay

165W Dimmable Full Spectrum LED Aquarium Light Marine Reef Coral SPS LPS Lamp | eBay

My question is, it has two knobs on top to adjust! One for the blue and the other for the white,green,red and a more pale white! How bright do I need to turn them up? Right now I have them up in till the fan comes on, then I back it down till it went off! That's were it set up now! Also I have all lights running now! Should I only use blue at night or does it madder! Also it said it needs to be 12-16ins from the water mines 15 lol! Thanks ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452539701.222687.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452539717.224797.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452539731.817417.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452539752.480140.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How deep is your tank? What corals do you plan to keep? Definitely don't turn them both all the way up. Start low. I've had my lights and they are close to yours for some months now and my whites never made it past 60%..blues are all the way up but it all should be done slowly.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452548362.556867.jpg

This how bright they are! I think half on blue and white

How long do you leave your light on? I've heard 14 hour is that right

I think 14 hours is a long time but its more of trial and error vs fact for any of these things. Depending on corals you want vs depth vs nutrients in the water vs water clarity it can all effect what % you keep the lights at in different ways. I keep my white lights on for 8hrs a day with blues on 1 hour before and 1 hour after whites turn on/off. I've done longer and shorter lighting periods too. You'll have to dial it in to your specific tank but like I said start low and maybe even with shorter light periods to. Last thing you want is to kill your corals from too much light or huge algae problems from long light periods.

Ya 10 hours is more like it. I run those same lights at 80% blues and 40% whites. They are STONG lights. I keep everything from zoas to acro under them and don't need more light that that. As you can see from your picture the strong light is right in the middle so your more demanding coral would go there, less demanding off to the sides of your tank. I like my whites to go off first then an hour of just blue. The just blue looks cool...

Ya 10 hours is more like it. I run those same lights at 80% blues and 40% whites. They are STONG lights. I keep everything from zoas to acro under them and don't need more light that that. As you can see from your picture the strong light is right in the middle so your more demanding coral would go there, less demanding off to the sides of your tank. I like my whites to go off first then an hour of just blue. The just blue looks cool...

Cool thanks man! Yea they are some strong lights! Didn't know about putting the more demanding corals in the middle thanks man I'm still learning about a reef tanks lol! That's why I love the page ?! And yea the blue light is awesome looking

Back
Top Bottom