Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award
All I was trying to emphasis was the fact that even though these LEDs don't project much heat into the water, they do require a heat sink and /or a fan to keep cool enough to run for long periods. Same with the drivers. And provisions should be made to make electrical connections safe from salt spray.

I don't want to change out my panels that often, so I try to keep the system cool. Don't want to compare credentials but my background has been in high temperature laser diodes that create a lot of heat and require massive heat sinks to last more than minutes. Keeping the devices cool will increase their efficiency as well as life span.

The advice to use commercial LED mounting frames is right on the money.

We should move this to it's own topic as there is a lot more to discuss.

Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree that the LEDs are more efficient at lower temperature, but the point I was trying to make is that the commercial heat sinks with multiple fins and all don't really keep LEDs that much cooler, it's kind of a myth of sorts. U Channel does just fine.

Also what I was trying to point out is that you literally have to run the LEDs at their maximum temperature to minimize their lifetime, which would still be longer than a decade. A simple U-channel heat sink without active cooling keeps them at or about 1/2 of the maximum operating temperature. So you still wouldn't be replacing panels before the driver fried.

My tanks: 120 Reef w/L2 Algae Scrubber, 60 Reef Pond w/floating Algae Scrubber, 40 Breeder Reef w/L2 UAS Tester Algae Scrubber
I maintain: 144 SW Reef w/L2 Algae Scrubber | 200 SW Reef w/L4 Algae Scrubber
Special knowledge: Algae Scrubbers, Acrylic Fabrication
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

led, led lighting, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com