Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2014, 05:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Led lighting

Hey guys I'm thinking of upgrading my current light to full spectrum 165w led light. I saw a video on YouTube this one person bought an 165w 55x3w from eBay and looks great!!! From what I saw from the video and what the specs of it I think it's a great price and lighting does excellent. I have a friend that's selling me his RBTA and I know I will need an upgrade to my lighting system. What you guys think or have any opinion on this LED light, thanks in advance!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181241461530?_mwBanner=1

Old 12-10-2014, 05:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It's ok. You can find them much cheaper though. If you like the multicolored units -
Mr 120 LED Aquarium Light Marine Coral Reef 55X 3W SPS Dimmable Full Spectrum | eBay

And the straight blue and white-
165W Marine Organism Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank LED Lamp Black Shell Dimmable | eBay

Old 12-10-2014, 05:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the info!! I prefer the color full spectrum led, in near future I may try to do corals or other frags that may require high lightings. So why not buy it right the first time and not have to worry about upgrading it or regret not getting it the first time around. Thanks again for that info it's cheaper and shipping is a lot closer to home!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The second blue and white one will grow anything you want just the same as the "full spectrum" unit. I use them myself.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I guess it's just a personal perspective. I did some research and watched a lot of video comparing to blue/white vs full spectrum. My honest opinion I like how the full spectrum lights up the tank but I'll take both into consideration. I was not aware that blue/white only light will grow corals and keeps them healthy and happy. Learn something new
Old 12-10-2014, 05:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes. The greens and reds are completely unnecessary. I like the blue and white units better. I found that the reds make the tank look pinkish. Right. Personal preference.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm glad I haven't made any purchase yet now that you mention blue/white will grow anything plus it's cheaper as long as the lights are 3w each
Old 12-10-2014, 05:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The u nits I have state they are 3 watts ran at 2 watts each for a total of 120, but I have grown sps on the sand bed over 25" away with them, so I wouldn't worry much. As long as they are similar to the ones you or I have posted, they all will work. Many names and descriptions, but basically the same design.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think before I jump the gun and choose either or, I may got to my lfs and ask one of the worker if he can show me both the full spectrum and the blue/white. I prefer to see it in person than judge from videos. I have a 75 gallon tank so I'll be looking to buy two and if I can save money in any way it'll be a win in my book lol
Old 12-10-2014, 05:45 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep. Definitely see them in person. You may like the reds and greens. I think the straight blue and white models look more like a 18-20k metal halide. The full spectrum units remind me of a t5 tank with the fiji purple or purple plus lamps in the fixture.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com