Led lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khmer86

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I'm thinking of upgrading my current light to full spectrum 165w led light. I saw a video on YouTube this one person bought an 165w 55x3w from eBay and looks great!!! From what I saw from the video and what the specs of it I think it's a great price and lighting does excellent. I have a friend that's selling me his RBTA and I know I will need an upgrade to my lighting system. What you guys think or have any opinion on this LED light, thanks in advance!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181241461530?_mwBanner=1

Thanks for the info!! I prefer the color full spectrum led, in near future I may try to do corals or other frags that may require high lightings. So why not buy it right the first time and not have to worry about upgrading it or regret not getting it the first time around. Thanks again for that info it's cheaper and shipping is a lot closer to home!

The second blue and white one will grow anything you want just the same as the "full spectrum" unit. I use them myself.

I guess it's just a personal perspective. I did some research and watched a lot of video comparing to blue/white vs full spectrum. My honest opinion I like how the full spectrum lights up the tank but I'll take both into consideration. I was not aware that blue/white only light will grow corals and keeps them healthy and happy. Learn something new :)

Yes. The greens and reds are completely unnecessary. I like the blue and white units better. I found that the reds make the tank look pinkish. Right. Personal preference.

I'm glad I haven't made any purchase yet now that you mention blue/white will grow anything plus it's cheaper as long as the lights are 3w each

The u nits I have state they are 3 watts ran at 2 watts each for a total of 120, but I have grown sps on the sand bed over 25" away with them, so I wouldn't worry much. As long as they are similar to the ones you or I have posted, they all will work. Many names and descriptions, but basically the same design.

I think before I jump the gun and choose either or, I may got to my lfs and ask one of the worker if he can show me both the full spectrum and the blue/white. I prefer to see it in person than judge from videos. I have a 75 gallon tank so I'll be looking to buy two and if I can save money in any way it'll be a win in my book lol

Yep. Definitely see them in person. You may like the reds and greens. I think the straight blue and white models look more like a 18-20k metal halide. The full spectrum units remind me of a t5 tank with the fiji purple or purple plus lamps in the fixture.

I think seeing in person will help make my decision easier for me. Thanks for the help and input Mr. X your opinions and advice are always great and I appreciate it. Getting those led light will be my Christmas gift to myself haha

No problem. Just don't believe folks when they tell you you NEED the colors. They just don't know any better.
This coral grew under those blue and white units and is still under them for the pic-
img_3110053_0_8e2367c5d4f4b7f190245418eba81edd.jpg

That looks awesome! I had my tank almost two years just now but only fowlr and now starting to do anemone and hopefully build up from there :)

I would be wary of any LED lighting that needed fans to keep it cool. Heat is an indicator that the drivers are inefficient and wasting energy. Top quality LEDs don't have fans. At that price, you should be getting a better product.

I would be wary of any LED lighting that needed fans to keep it cool. Heat is an indicator that the drivers are inefficient and wasting energy. Top quality LEDs don't have fans. At that price, you should be getting a better product.

Most high end units use fans, that's not an indicator of product quality at all

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And what price is that exactly? 80-100 bucks a fixture? Please show me some "top quality" LEDs that you can buy for anywhere near that price.

I have to agree with everyone on this one, I seen some top quality led lighting made by top manufacturer and still uses fan. I got a cheap led light currently on my tank and doesn't have fan but not bright enough to grow corals. That's why I started this thread which by the way thanks to mr. X I have my new lights currently being processed to be shipped to me soon :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418618464.120192.jpg

I use both. Mr_X and I have debated this a lot. The red and green are accent lights for your eye, not the coral. The UV leds however have shown to be of actual benefit both to color and growth of stoney corals especially. I also love the extended blue frequency that enhances the corals fluorescence during evening lighting. But there is no doubt white/blue panels also work fine.

Leds, especially high power ones create a lot of localized heat. That heat is what reduces their lifespan. You either need a big heat sink, fans or both or you don't have high power leds long. It all depends on number and wattage of the leds. I have seen fanless fixtures at the LFS and they were hot to the touch. I didn't like that. My RapidLED fixtures are cool to touch so I don't mind the fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom