Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have had mine going for a year now and I am sure you could do as well or better with a metal halide/chiller system, such as I had running, but the advantages of the LEDs is simplicity and economy.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We are completely disinterested in halides for that exact reason. I don't want to deal with all the problems. And reef keeping isn't the most earth friendly hobby. I don't care to add to the waste anymore than I have to. We love the idea of DIY (it's fun to see how well you can do for a fraction of the cost). I'm thrilled to know that we are
on the right track. We are relative newcomers to the game and everyone has a strong opinion about lighting. With our
moonlighting turning out so well and the fact that you have been using a similar system with success for about a year, Im almost giddy. Lol

Old 06-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Don't get too giddy. Try them out. Don't underestimate their brightness as it could bleach a coral. I have had good luck, hope you do too.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

From your picture, mine are packed less than 1/2" apart, much closer than yours. Each panel of 130 is about 12" x 18". Is that your current moonlight? Or am I looking at the picture without a good size comparison?
Again, in my humble experience, I found that 1-2 watts of LED per gallon was plenty, where you would use far more if lighting with other sources. The number you quoted seemed like a good place to start. nice thing is you can add more if needed.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

the moonlights are my favorite lighting effect
the way the water movement makes it shimmer is relaxing
i've fell asleep watching it a few times
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I use to have some blue bulbs that simulated moonlight, need to add a few LED strips and do it again because it was cool.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lol! I'll try to keep it under control. LED lighting is so new and so expensive that it's hard to find anyone who has really experimented with it. A lot of what we've been able to find has come from expensive DIY (you have to Do it our way or it's wrong) kits. We didn't like a lot of what was offered so we went the same route we always take and researched the crap out of it, came up with our own design, and started a build. So far it's working out beautifully. But the one thing we notice over and over is that a lot of folks running the 5 watt bulbs are running them at about 1/2 their capacity on dimmers. So we went with the 1 watt lights in a larger angle and upped the number of lights. We will see how it works. But it does calm some of my worries that you are running a somewhat similar system with some success. I do love the research and design part of the hobby though, trial and error are part of that. Its fun when an idea pans out.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:15 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The photo is a three foot section containing 75 lights. We placed a blue bulb every third bulb and are wiring them in separately. White on one plug, blues on one with 4-6 blue bulbs separated for moon lighting on the other tank. The 125 is a 6 foot tank so we plan on mounting two of them side by side for our coverage. The moonlights are just 4 of the LEDs mounted on small strips of the same mirrored plexiglas. They aren't much. We started off with 6 but quickly decided that it was WAY to much light for moonlights so out came 2 of them.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I think that will work fine. I too like the 1 watt and 2 watt LEDs better. I don't try to dim mine.

Tags
led, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com