LED question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin0329

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking at building my own LED fixture however I am curious how much wattage it should have. Its a standard 55 gallon tank and I am thinking I'll be adding corals later. Currently I have a T5 fixture that houses 4 54 watt bulbs (2 actinic and 2 10k) for a total of 216 watts witch seems standard for that type of fixture. I really like the way LED's light the tank thus the "upgrade". Also, I like the idea of not having to change the bulbs or forgetting for that matter. So, when planning on using 3 watt LED bulbs, how many total watts are ideal for corals so that bleaching isn't an issue?

Hard to say with LEDs.. I just upgraded my biocube 14 to LEDs. I used 12 3watt Crees and am very happy with it. Bright enought to house anything. I have sps and a clam in there. I got the dimmable which I highly suggest so you can acclimate your corals to the lighting to prevent any bleaching. Total equals 2.5 watts per gallon for me but it works out to be plenty. I also added a couple stunner led strips to add more color. Mike from rapidled.com is awesome!!!

Back
Top Bottom