Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just built a 90w light using those LEDs I really like them great color.

Attachment 94524

Attachment 94525

Old 05-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

That looks super simple i like it
What size tank is that for?

What does the heat sink do?

Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use it on a 47g column tank , so basically like two of your cubes stacked on top of each other. I replaced a 250w metal halide.

It is fairly easy just when buying leds be sure you get the right driver for the type and quantity of leds you go with. On the leds look for "voltage forward" or "VF" and milliamps or "mA". How you wire the leds will decide how they work as well.

For example: I used 9 x 12volt leds that take 1000mA
My power supply provided 30-36v and 3000mA
So I wired three leds in a series (3x12v=36v and 1000mA) for each row.
When you wire the leds in a series the voltage increases with each led in the
series, but the mA remains the same. Get it?
So now I have 3 series of 3 leds each.
These three strands or series of leds are wired together all the positives
together all the negatives together and attach those to the + and - outputs
of the driver.
Wiring this way gives you the 36v 3000mA draw on the driver.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so ifbi understand corectly you have 3 rows of leds and each row is 36v creating 1000ma and all conect to the same driver creating the 3000ma wich is what the driver is rated for?

Also what is the heat sink? The picture from the link you provided is confusing me haha Sorry for all the questions im a college student trained to do so and act like a sponge :p
Ps thanks for all the great info and hope others will read also and learn or add their inputs as well
Old 05-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, the heatsink sorry forgot to explain, with 10w leds you need a pretty decent heatsink to dissapate the heat, If you look and the ecoxotics the stunner strips dont have a really noticeable heatsink but the panorama pros do, this is because the actual part or the led that emits the light is pretty small so for its size theres a lot of electricity going through so that generates a good deal of heat, Since the led itself is mostly plastic and silicone it will melt if you dont get rid of that heat so you need a piece of a good heat conducter (like aluminum) to take the heat away from the led itself, The more powerful the led the larger the heatsink you need. The cooler you keep your led, the longer it will last. I use computer thermal paste between the led and the aluminum to help the heat transfer even faster to keep the leds cool.
If you lit one of those 10w leds without a heatsink it would fry itself in less than a minute more than likely. So your heatsink is probably the most important part, and a good heatsink makes you led look better also as its the most visible part and what everyone sees first. So if you use a cheap piece of scrap metal as your heatsink, it may work, but it may shorten the life of your leds and make your diy fixture look like crap.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's a pic of my heatsink how it sits on the aquarium, I have 2 120mm computer fans on it to help, but it's large and heavy enough where I don't really need the fans, but the cooler the better, and they are not too loud. If I had like 160w on there I would probably have to use the fans. Or if the heatsink was smaller or lighter I would probably need fans.

Attachment 94632
Old 05-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have this setup I'm working on, but don't really have anywhere to put it. I just have some parts left over from the other fixture.
These are Cree 3w LEDs , which are supposed to be some of the best you can buy, I haven't lit them up yet so I don't know.

Attachment 94638

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3001799656.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	94639
Old 05-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok makes sence woukd it be possible to gut my hood for the cube and fit the leds plus the hood still?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've seen pictures online of other people that have done it, but I'm not familiar with what kind of space you have to work with in the hood, so I don't know. But it can be done.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok thank you! i will look up online to see if all else fails i can get a clear top to the tank or i can even cut the hood to fit the heat sink

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com