Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

LEDs for Reef Tank

Just built and installed all CREE LED fixtures over my reef tank. I have mostly LPS and zooanthids/mushrooms. Wanting to try some SPS. Went for less LEDs due to price. Got 98 total. Half royal blue half clear white. The color is amazing with great shimmer. Blue alone makes everything look neon. Not sure if it will be enough for SPS though. Any thoughts?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I like the idea of havin a tank with nothing but l.e.d for lighting, low heat, low energy consumption and no costly bulb changes!! But a friend of mine lost alot of coral that started well under them then died, iv been too scared to try just l.e.d so i always back up with a few T5's!!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #3

My led fixtures are DIY. I've seen the manufactured ones around and they are no where near as intense as the ones I put together. I've seen some pretty convincing evidence from these types of builds. Most are strictly SPS too. Take a look on you tube for reef led lights.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big and how deep is the tank? Most likely you will be able too, 98 sounds like a lot unless it's a large tank
Old 03-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #5

Tank is 84x24x24. Most people said I would need 132 LEDs, but budget only allowed for 98. So far so good and the colors are great. Gonna have to try some SPS and clams. I'll start with the inexpensive ones first. So far so good.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

WOW! A 7-footer? How many gallons is that guy? I'd love to see pictures of your setup. How far apart are your LEDs placed, I was expected a tank like 50G or less, not 180G+(I know it's bigger than that though)
Old 03-31-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

LEDs are more intense and directional than any other source generally. From what I've read, most people that experience bleaching and loss is because they do not do a ramp up/down dimming cycle. I've read from some people that they only run them full-strength for about an hour or two a day, and the rest of the time is ramping up and down.

I've got I think 72 on order for a DIY build, was going to be 96 but budget got in the way. Darn money.
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

84x24x24 / 231 = 210 gallons
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #9

I went with constant current as those drivers are set to the recommended output for the LEDs. So my output is not overdriven. Didn't want to mess with dimmers as it gets complicated and didn't want burn out this very expensive build. Lol. It also can mean a longer lifespan for the LEDs. If I ever do another build I'll consider it. First I want to see how these go. I'll have to watch for any bleaching and maybe set lights to only come on first with half and then all LEDs. So far corals opening as normal. Had 4 72" vhos before.

Tags
led, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com