Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2004, 04:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

i stilll havent decided on how big im gonna build my tank but it will b at least 700 gallons since i found different ways to build it that are of lesser cost. i would put the tank in my basement (got plenty of room to build in-doors and such). dont worry i wont buy a lemon shark now that i know what they look like and know how big they get.

Old 05-31-2004, 05:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Thats a pretty big project. and pretty expensive. Many, many, many thousands of dollars expensive. Why not try something a bit more manageable? 125 gallon tanks can offer alot of space for many SW fishes. (as long as it isnt a shark.)

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL, imagine if you wanted to put all live rock in there.. 1000 lbs of rock... ouch! Not to mention the lighting!

It's an awesome project to do aslong as you've got $10k lying around
Old 05-31-2004, 06:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Well my opinion on that is that when look on a website that says how many gallons the fish or shark has to have they tell you that amount at its maximum growth level, also it depends on what type of shark it is because some sharks have a muscle in there gills that allows them to not have to move and still be able to breath. Also atari I don't think you can buy a 10 ft. lemon shark anywhere and most sharks are about 4-6 inches at birth. plus if you buy a shark say 1 foot in lenght it will take it quite a few years for it to reach that growth because sharks have a very short growth rate specially in captivity, a lemon shark won't even reach 10ft. in captivity but possibly in the wild. My neighbor has three sharks in a 500 gallon tank and they seem to do fine they are 1 nurse shark and 2 banded cat sharks they all do very fine and he bought them a few years ago at about 20-24 inches and they are only about 34 inches know. He does not have any special training on these sharks except for some research. So pyromaniac I think you should do some reasearch on which sharks you want and build your 700 gallon tank if you want to and put some sharks in it.
go for it pyro
Old 05-31-2004, 07:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

i will build my tank out of plywood and glass or make an indoor pond.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

reelalure, I didn't say anything about buying a 10 ft shark.. I said they get up to that size and are at least a foot at birth.

Also, I can't possibly encourage someone who has had nothing more than a couple 10 gal tanks in the past (according to profile) to jump straight into caring for such an animal. But if he goes ahead with it then good luck to him.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Old 05-31-2004, 08:59 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelalure
Well my opinion on that is that when look on a website that says how many gallons the fish or shark has to have they tell you that amount at its maximum growth level, also it depends on what type of shark it is because some sharks have a muscle in there gills that allows them to not have to move and still be able to breath.
This is absolutely not an excuse to keep a shark in an environment where it can't move, or can only move very little. To do so is cruelty.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:25 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Decided to do a little research and found out that the minimum recommended size for keeping nurse sharks is 1400 gal.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Old 05-31-2004, 09:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

reelalure, your neighbor's nurse shark have slow grow rate is due to the size of the tank and probably he did not properly feed the shark with right diet.

Any aquarist can tell you that a fish will only grow relatively to the tank size it kept in. If i do not wrongly remember, i think a nurse shark could reach approx 8 feet.

As with others, i totally agree that shark and certain sea creatures (eg. turtle) should only belong to the wild or in a huge public aquarium with profesional looking after it.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:08 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I have seen Lemon Sharks in the wild while diving in the Bahamas. These sharks were 6-7 feet in length and "very" active swimmers. This is not mention their aggressiveness.
A shark this size would need a Sea World size aquarium to thrive in. I have also seen many Nurse Sharks in excess of 8 ft.
I know there are fish stores that sell these animals, but it is IMO extremely irresponsible to keep them in captivity in an a tank less than 10s of thousands of gallon.
I realize that Nurse Sharks do spend a lot of time sleeping on the bottom and seem rather lazy. Don't let this fool you, they also spend lots of time swimming in search of food, much of it at night. It would be cruel to keep them in any size home aquarium, simply not enough room for them to thrive. Like living in a closet.
What would one do "when" it outgrows the system? Offer it to the local zoo? What if they don't take it? Its a condemnation for these animals when we buy them, it give the industry reason to keep capturing them for people with insufficient systems to properly house them.
Sorry for the rant, but it makes me a little nuts to hear of people who "think" they have a large enough system to house sharks when in reality a shark need more room than most of us can ever offer. The ocean is being depleted of these magnificent animals as it is for soup and other BS. Lets let our community of caring hobbyists encourage our local fish stores to leave them in the sea where they belong.

Tags
lemon, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com