lemon shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im NOT gonna get a lemon shark if some of u guys r thinking i am gonna get 1. the most extreme thinking i have done is on a leapord shark and i dont even have enough money to buy one of those and are not willing to blow all my money on a fish (even though its tempting).

pYrOmAnIaC said:
im NOT gonna get a lemon shark if some of u guys r thinking i am gonna get 1. the most extreme thinking i have done is on a leapord shark and i dont even have enough money to buy one of those and are not willing to blow all my money on a fish (even though its tempting).

My post was not just directed at you. You are asking questions, that is good. It was just a general post directed at shark captivity in general. :wink:

Don't get a leopard shark...PLEASE!! They are one of the most wrongly put animals in an aquarium. 6-9 ft in length, they are not bottom dwellers and they swim plenty. Nurse sharks grow to fourteen feet in length, yes, even in an aquarium. Most sharks don't even live that long in an aquarium.

On a lighter note, if you are going to build a 700 gallon tank for a shark, i would go with the Portjacksoni, or the Port Jackson hornshark. The absolute maximum length of five feet, and would require a chiller. More active than most bottom dwellers, and pretty impressive. Named a horn shark for the horns behind each pectoral fin. Don't touch, they hurt.

My shark of choice would be a black-tip reef shark. Of course, unless i have $100,000-$500,000 to blow on the several, several, several, several thousand gallon tank, it isn't going to happen. I would never wish to harm a shark in anyway. Just check out my signature.

Please do some serious thinking before purchasing any shark, and if you have any questions, please ask them. It is better to feel stupid than be stupid. :wink: If you catch my drift. (And no, that is not an insult, just a cool saying)

Oh, and quarryshark, do you not believe in keeping sharks at all? I think that it is fine with very very large aquariums if you give them their needs and then some. I would love a shark, but would not get one without a proper system.

duaumun said:
Oh, and quarryshark, do you not believe in keeping sharks at all? I think that it is fine with very very large aquariums if you give them their needs and then some. I would love a shark, but would not get one without a proper system.

definitely not the ones mentioned previously in this thread. Maybe one of the animals you mentioned with a very large system, the 1-2 footers.
But for the most part, no I don't think they should be kept.

Good, good. But the the animals i mentioned, the hornshark can grow to five feet the black tip can grow to 6 or 7. Wish i had the money. Would spend hundereds of thousands for a black tip. Ya know, wishful thinking.

hey vega sharks have a very slow growth rate in the wild to I don't know if there are any fisherman on here but I am apart of the igfa tagging foundation and I tag all the pelagic fish and sharks I catch so if they are caught again they can see how much they grown and how far they have traveled. Last summer there was a nurse shark that was caught that had a tag in it and he measured and turned the info in to igfa the shark was only 2ft 3 in. when orginally caught and it has grown after 6 years to only 4ft 5 in. in length.

flatzboy said:
hey vega sharks have a very slow growth rate in the wild to I don't know if there are any fisherman on here but I am apart of the igfa tagging foundation and I tag all the pelagic fish and sharks I catch so if they are caught again they can see how much they grown and how far they have traveled. Last summer there was a nurse shark that was caught that had a tag in it and he measured and turned the info in to igfa the shark was only 2ft 3 in. when orginally caught and it has grown after 6 years to only 4ft 5 in. in length.

OK, imagine the size tank that would be optimal for a 4'5" animal that grows 5" a year. What would you do with him once he outgrows the tank? If he lived that long.

I would put my money into a nice reef tank. For the money that it would take to buy a shark, you could have a spectacular, huge reef tank! Sharks are nice, but I think they are much nicer in the ocean where they belong. I think it would be cruel to put a shark in a small environment where it could lead to his ultimate death, and look at the money that would lost, not to mention a beautiful fish as well.

Mike

A shark will grow much faster in an aquarium than in the wild, IMO. They have a constant food supply and eat regularly, this is not necessarily the case in the ocean. I had a friend that purchased a nurse shark (against my advice) for their 300g tank, the shark was a little over a foot when they bought it, and in less than a year it grew to over 3ft in length. The shark had to be removed from the aquarium.

quarryshark said:
What would you do with him once he outgrows the tank? If he lived that long.

Outgrows the tank? simple. Take him back and trade him for a slightly smaller shark. And when that one outgrows the tank, trade him in for a slightly smaller shark, and so on, and so on... I am sure your local fish store would have no problem with you trading in a 5 foot shark.

(I am being sarcastic.)

why not pay 10 dollars to go to a real aquarium were there are sharks??
if you want to take care of one so much then why not work there and take care of them?

RocketSeason said:
quarryshark said:
What would you do with him once he outgrows the tank? If he lived that long.

Outgrows the tank? simple. Take him back and trade him for a slightly smaller shark. And when that one outgrows the tank, trade him in for a slightly smaller shark, and so on, and so on... I am sure your local fish store would have no problem with you trading in a 5 foot shark.

(I am being sarcastic.)

:wink:

Or get scuba certified and observe them in the wild. Now THAT is cool. :shocked!:

This is off topic, and I know this forum is for aquarium advice, but I was thinking about getting a horse for my kids. Since I cant afford land right now I was going to put him in my 10x12 storage shed for a couple of years until I could get a small fenced back yard to keep him in. Maybe in 10 or 12 years I could afford an acre or so. My dog doesn’t seem to mind being stuck in a pet carrier all day, so I’m sure the horse would do fine.
:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom