Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2004, 12:14 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

im NOT gonna get a lemon shark if some of u guys r thinking i am gonna get 1. the most extreme thinking i have done is on a leapord shark and i dont even have enough money to buy one of those and are not willing to blow all my money on a fish (even though its tempting).

Old 06-01-2004, 12:43 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by pYrOmAnIaC
im NOT gonna get a lemon shark if some of u guys r thinking i am gonna get 1. the most extreme thinking i have done is on a leapord shark and i dont even have enough money to buy one of those and are not willing to blow all my money on a fish (even though its tempting).
My post was not just directed at you. You are asking questions, that is good. It was just a general post directed at shark captivity in general.

Old 06-01-2004, 02:44 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

ohhhhhhh....i gotchya!
Old 06-01-2004, 04:30 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't get a leopard shark...PLEASE!! They are one of the most wrongly put animals in an aquarium. 6-9 ft in length, they are not bottom dwellers and they swim plenty. Nurse sharks grow to fourteen feet in length, yes, even in an aquarium. Most sharks don't even live that long in an aquarium.

On a lighter note, if you are going to build a 700 gallon tank for a shark, i would go with the Portjacksoni, or the Port Jackson hornshark. The absolute maximum length of five feet, and would require a chiller. More active than most bottom dwellers, and pretty impressive. Named a horn shark for the horns behind each pectoral fin. Don't touch, they hurt.

My shark of choice would be a black-tip reef shark. Of course, unless i have $100,000-$500,000 to blow on the several, several, several, several thousand gallon tank, it isn't going to happen. I would never wish to harm a shark in anyway. Just check out my signature.

Please do some serious thinking before purchasing any shark, and if you have any questions, please ask them. It is better to feel stupid than be stupid. If you catch my drift. (And no, that is not an insult, just a cool saying)
Old 06-01-2004, 04:33 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh, and quarryshark, do you not believe in keeping sharks at all? I think that it is fine with very very large aquariums if you give them their needs and then some. I would love a shark, but would not get one without a proper system.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:44 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaumun
Oh, and quarryshark, do you not believe in keeping sharks at all? I think that it is fine with very very large aquariums if you give them their needs and then some. I would love a shark, but would not get one without a proper system.
definitely not the ones mentioned previously in this thread. Maybe one of the animals you mentioned with a very large system, the 1-2 footers.
But for the most part, no I don't think they should be kept.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:25 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good, good. But the the animals i mentioned, the hornshark can grow to five feet the black tip can grow to 6 or 7. Wish i had the money. Would spend hundereds of thousands for a black tip. Ya know, wishful thinking.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:27 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

hey vega sharks have a very slow growth rate in the wild to I don't know if there are any fisherman on here but I am apart of the igfa tagging foundation and I tag all the pelagic fish and sharks I catch so if they are caught again they can see how much they grown and how far they have traveled. Last summer there was a nurse shark that was caught that had a tag in it and he measured and turned the info in to igfa the shark was only 2ft 3 in. when orginally caught and it has grown after 6 years to only 4ft 5 in. in length.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:44 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey, i should probably point out that that is because a shark in an aquarium has a certain food source...
Old 06-02-2004, 12:57 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatzboy
hey vega sharks have a very slow growth rate in the wild to I don't know if there are any fisherman on here but I am apart of the igfa tagging foundation and I tag all the pelagic fish and sharks I catch so if they are caught again they can see how much they grown and how far they have traveled. Last summer there was a nurse shark that was caught that had a tag in it and he measured and turned the info in to igfa the shark was only 2ft 3 in. when orginally caught and it has grown after 6 years to only 4ft 5 in. in length.
OK, imagine the size tank that would be optimal for a 4'5" animal that grows 5" a year. What would you do with him once he outgrows the tank? If he lived that long.

Tags
lemon, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com