length of cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skings421

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Whats the average time a tank takes to cycle? I have two biocubes, one 14 an one 29gal. Ive had the 29 for about 6 months and i can now put just about any coral or anemone and they will be fine. However, the 14 is only 2months old an i recently tried to add a bubble tip anemone and he didnt look good so i brought him back to the LFS. I have one of the haitain anemones for now an its doing well. How long does it take for the tank to cycle and when can i expect the water to be sufficent enough to add nice anemones??

There is no set time to cycle. I`ve seen them take all kind of times. It all depends on your nitrifying bacteria.

From my experience, it takes between 6-10 weeks for a tank to completely cycle. Variables on time include what the bio load is, the temperature, if the tank was seeded, etc.

My tank had a pretty much zero-time cycle. I got a deal on cured live rock and filled the tank with it. I had to keep putting in raw shrimp pieces to test to be sure but I have never had any detectable ammonia or nitrite since I started the tank, and that's been about two months. Mind you, my bio load is extremely light as well, but even with raw shrimp in the tank I had nothing at all.

If you go with a lot of base rock and a little live rock then you will need to take the time to cycle.

Are you aware of the ammonia and nitrite readings you need to watch to determine if and how long a cycle takes? It's not about a set amount of time. I am so sorry folks believe that and never understand to watch the readings.

I understand that you have to read the ammonia and nitrite levels. I was wondering if there was an average time which most aquariums take in order to reach zero on those readings.

I recently cycled a 140g using uncured live rock in two weeks. You should be able to cycle just about any tank in under 3wks imo.

Depends on the combination (if a combination) of cured and un-cured rock. A substantial amount of cured rock can make the cycle short or even non-existent. All uncured rock, and the amount of decaying matter on it can take longer. I'd agree with 3 weeks or less.

I was able to cycle my new 75gal system in 2 wks using half uncured rock from the LFS and half from my older 45gal with the addition of about 8 cups of live sand from the same system.

I also placed my Bio-bale from my CPR Cy192 sump filter into my refugium section of the new sump.

I couldn't believe how fast it cycled. It has been three weeks now and I plan on placing my 2 lg toadstool corals in the new tank tonight...wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom