Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-05-2005, 02:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Leopard Sharks

I am setting up a 450g tank and I plan to have 2 Leopard Sharks. I have searched around the forum and have not seen much on these beautiful animals.

If anyone has or has had experience with Leopards please pass on any words of widom that may be helpful such as feeding methods, water parameters, compatible specises, etc.

Pete R.

peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 09:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Pete. Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
To be completely honest, I would not reccommend that anyone keep a Leopard shark in a home aquarium. These animals can grow to 7 feet in the wild which makes them a poor choice for a home tank. Even a 450gal tank (which is huge) is not big enough to support one leopard shark, let alone two. To keep this animal at home you would need a 1000gal or more tank. Shallow and wide, circular works best to provide lots of feww swimming room. A sandy bottom with no LR should also be provided. This is one animal that is best left in the wild or to large public aquariums.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
Pete R. , im in full agreement with lando for even if you went with a 500 gal tank, you still be way short from what you would need here and your thinking on a pair of leopard sharks.
To give you an idea on what you be looking at, i will give you something on what i done so long ago.
I had setup a shark tank that was 15' long and nearly 5' Wide and all together was a 2500 gal tank. Under this i had three huge sumps and two on both ends of that tank with a huge skimmer and a 500 gal sump for L/R. And in short, this 2500 gal tank wasn`t suited enough for the life span for it would need to be no less then a 5000 tank or pond and yet if you can do, go larger.
In a shark tank, your filtration and currents is very important and you would need to do twice the normal water changes you do now. If you like to talk to another person who knows very well in what is needed here? Go to http://grimreefers.com/ and go to the shark & rays forum and ask mattiej If anyone i know in any of these forums who is well off suited to answer any questions you might have, it is he And tell him that DME says HI
Buddy ><{{{{">

leopard, sharks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com