Leopard Wrasse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
So a buddy of mine who is about to tear down their tank just got a leopard wrasse (about 2"-3" in size). Hes kept many wrasses together in thr same tank and i never have. I realize its an 'expert only' fish because of their finicky feeding habits. My tank is almost 2 years running and it is 39 gallon witj 20~ gallon sump. I also have a yellow chysus wrasse and 2 ocellaris clowns. He already gave me his red linckia (3" diameter) and it has been doing great over a week now in my tank. My question is will my really mellow chysus wrassr go rogue on this guy or are they compatible? He said they will be fine but i cant seem to find compatibility for these 2 wrasses anywhere. The only other option for this guy is to bring him in to our only LFS since the good one closed, where it will 100% die for sure. I know...its sad.

Most recent FTS-
img_2788388_0_316d52cefc5aa715a93f347904c81281.jpg

Well he is my fish now and possibly the prettiest fish ive ever owned. Hes acclimating to my system right now. Ive done alot of research on this guy but still no compatibility with my chysus wrasse found! Any help or suggestions very much appreciated! Heres some quick pics i took of him.
img_2788860_0_630478456a0c9233ce2195d1d91085cd.jpg
img_2788860_1_4ce1d83bf41bf4f01965b3b158404edd.jpg

I feed him frozen prawn roe and he devoured it. This gives me alot of hope! Not really that shy either but very observant. Might have a new favorite! I think im going to try to catch my yellow chysus and let the leopard get comfortable for at least a week. Hes checking him out through the acrylic tank.

Well no hope catching my chusus wrasse. Released the leopard into my tank last night. Hes out this morning! I hear of them hiding alot, for weeks. Hes got alittle spunk and appears to be in good heath. Nipping at the rocks. My chysus did kinda bumrush him a couple times but didnt nip. Hopefully he is just showing dominance and not threatening the leopard. The leopard hasnt seeked shelter from him yet? Just staying on hid side of the tank i guess. I tried to get some pics of him but its very hard. Hes not camera shy like the chysus but moves around alot! Heres the best i got-
img_2789759_0_c47432b60dda0c3d7a23d1ecaf773de5.jpg
img_2789759_1_fa311627da80790346c11e4c17b5c847.jpg
img_2789759_2_a658a36800f7623c6c0d3f27f8bdf34d.jpg

Im not sure. Id be happy with either but i do like the blue. It kinda favors both.

you do realize the yellow chysus wrasse isn't reef safe and grows to about 6"
the leopard is reef safe with caution and grows to about 6 1/2 "
they both require at least 50g or larger tank especially after there both full grown
I wouldn't be surprised if they fight but only one true way of finding out
if I were to choose I would keep leopard over other
wish I had friends who gave me fish like that he's like a $50 fish great score
and paul your tank is filling in nicely

you do realize the yellow chysus wrasse isn't reef safe and grows to about 6"
the leopard is reef safe with caution and grows to about 6 1/2 "
they both require at least 50g or larger tank especially after there both full grown
I wouldn't be surprised if they fight but only one true way of finding out
if I were to choose I would keep leopard over other
wish I had friends who gave me fish like that he's like a $50 fish great score
and paul your tank is filling in nicely

Thank you. I know the yellow chysus can get up to 6" but he is definately reef safe. I wasnt planning on keeping 2 wrasses when i got it. I read alot of the leopard wrasse and max size in captivity is not that big. The largest are right under 6". And i think it may be the blue star leopard and according to liveaquaria they get to 5 1/2", so maybe actually 5" dunno. I will definatly keep the leopard over the chysus even though the chysus is such a good fish. Its going ok so far. The leopard is out right now!

Nice fish, I want one lol just gotta get to making the screen top from BRS.

Thanks. You will need to acclimate it very slowly and introduce it at night. I think mine may get along with each other but i dont know once they get bigger and start to mature. I added them in the wrong order too. But this particular leopard looks like a winner to me. Not very shy and eats frozen!

Leopards aren't too bad provided they:

1) Don't injure their mouths. This often happens in shipping when they dive bomb the bottom of the shipping container trying to bury themselves. A damaged mouth for these guys is pretty much a death sentence.

2) Have a sand bed for them to bury themselves. This is in no way optional. Many times they end up in a wholesaler's or retailer's bare-bottom tank and they stress out or injure themselves as above.

3) Get eating. They seem to like smaller foods relative to their body size.

I think yours is going to do well!

I have a meleagris now and am considering picking up an ornatus. The meleagris is my largest fish with the exception of my tomini tang, and pretty well is ignored and hasn't harassed a thing.

Last edited:
Leopards aren't too bad provided they:

1) Don't injure their mouths. This often happens in shipping when they dive bomb the bottom of the shipping container trying to bury themselves. A damaged mouth for these guys is pretty much a death sentence.

2) Have a sand bed for them to bury themselves. This is in no way optional. Many times they end up in a wholesaler's or retailer's bare-bottom tank and they stress out or injure themselves as above.

3) Get eating. They seem to like smaller foods relative to their body size.

I think yours is going to do well!

I have a meleagris now and am considering picking up an ornatus. The meleagris is my largest fish with the exception of my tomini tang, and pretty well is ignored and hasn't harassed a thing.

Awesome! This guy was shipped so he wasnt in a fishstore tank. Hid mouth doesnt appear to be damaged either. Hes absolutely awesome. Can you tell if mine is an ornate or meleagris? Its alittle over an 1" long!

Still havent caught that chrysus wrasse. I tried again today. I got alittle 1lt. Smooth bottle trap made now. The little water bottle had design creases on it and the view was distorted. Dont know if that will make him less likely to go in it. Gonna try again tomorrow. Didnt see the leopard out yesterday or today. Hopefully hes still good and the yellow chrysus doesnt bother him when he comes out.

Well i seen my leopard today! He came out when i was cleaning up. Im glad hes still looking great. Didnt stay out very long i think i startled him. Still no sucess on catching my chysus wrasse. Came kinda close. Maybe next try!

Very nice score on that fish beautiful one she is. And yesget a screen top on that tank if you can and if you have an overflow you will need to rig something up to keep them from getting in there. I just lst my redhead solon fairy wrasse to some how getting into the overflow and getting stuck between the pipe and the plastic.
This is what I rigged up so whrn I go and get another wrasse he or she won't end up lime that one.

Not the prettiest but I am hoping it will work.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390101154285.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390101154285.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 83
  • uploadfromtaptalk1390101184141.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390101184141.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 92
Back
Top Bottom