Let the snapping begin!! Mantis has entered the room-Maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffw85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well guys and gals--as I get ready to transfer my 75g over to my new 175g bow. My 75g has got a couple new visitors I believe. Sounds like a glass thermometer or hydrometer hitting the side of the tank. Sometimes one, two or three consecutive snaps. Problem is I have no glass in the tank. I hear it a few times throughout the course of the day and I am never around the tank at night--It's at my office. Had this same sound a couple years back and I was told it was a crab. Never knew I had one until a year later when moving some rock and there the little bugger was. Strong too!!!

I'm sure I introduced the culprit with my new liverocks order and have found one sizable hermit crab KIA. I read all the mantis stuff but can crabs do the same thing or similar?

I'll try to discover the bugger as I move the rocks over. My fish and shrimpers are fine.

Might be a mantis...might be a pistol shrimp. If it is a pistol, I think they are pretty harmless.

My experience is that if it is a mantis, you'll see him soon enough.

I have received several mantis shrimp (stomatopods) with my liverocks.com orders and here is what I have found:

1. When you hear a sound like tinging a drinking glass, it can be a mantis snapping on a crab's carapace. I moved one of my mantises to a 20g mini reef and he chased crabs around in there and when he snapped em it sounded like you were snapping a drinking glass with your fingernail. I saw this, first hand, a LOT. When they ping off rocks and stuff the sound is quite different.

2. They can be fun to keep. The ones from the gulf/keys aren't the humongo ones that grow big enough to get scary and stuff. I literally hand feed mine (most of the time with a little tweezer or plastic tube or something) and they just learn to come out and grab the food. They are very comical and obviously intelligent. I keep one in the main display and he is sort of a PITA because he goes after the little conchs but I can't catch him yet and move him to the 20. I keep another in the 20 and feed him shrimp chunks (the little cannibal!)

Anyway thats all for now but here is a fun link. http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/

Mine (of the same type) is now living in a 2.5 gal display tank on the mantel. I agree, they are a lot of fun to feed and keep once you get them out of the main tank where they cause trouble.

I have a pistol in my main tank I did not ever see for about 6 months. And I've only seen him one time. Took a load off my mind. I have 8 mantis in another tank that came off my LR.

As I'm typing this I can hear the little bugger clicking away!

I saw a blue legged hermit wandering around with a cracked shell today, guess he lived to tell the story.. I'm pretty sure it's a Mantis and not a Pistol shrimp, although I haven't had a sighting in the 2 weeks I've been hearing the clicking.

I did briefly see a molt fly across the tank that looked like a shrimp but it was impossible to get an ID. It was only 0.5" so I'm not too bothered yet.

How quickly do they grow?

I am wondering myself how big these little dudes have to be before they have the potential to start craking shells and such. Anyone have any idea?

jeffw85 said:
I am wondering myself how big these little dudes have to be before they have the potential to start craking shells and such. Anyone have any idea?

Smaller smasher-type mantis will go after thinner-shelled snails and other smaller critters until they get bigger. However, they will continue to exercise their clubs on harder-shelled critters while they grow even if they are unsuccessful in breaking the shells.

Since you purchased your rock from Liverocks.com, you likely have a Neogonodactylus wennerae which are quite interesting. After a molt, they often change colors to be whatever color they think will be the most useful to them for camoflauge.

Assuming it is able to crack a hermit shell, I'm guessing that your mantis is now full grown. Wennerae tend to stay on the small side (2.5 to 3.5 inches).

http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/pics/isaari_hammers.htm

PS...if you can trap it and put it in a nano tank, you'll be amazed at how fascinating these critters are.

PS...if you can trap it and put it in a nano tank, you'll be amazed at how fascinating these critters are.

theres the tricky part. catching the little bugger. I have had mine for a few months now, (liverocks.com) and I have yet to see him. I did get rid of one when my order came in, by letting the rock sit out a bit. and he was all black. I tried to keep him alive while someone was deciding wheather he wanted him or not, but passed away.

Back
Top Bottom