Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2005, 07:09 PM   #11
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito2491
You Mean the toxins are the white stuff that come out of the sea cucumbers ?
Nope, small brown eggs.

Quote:
Like In The Movie Jackass? lol
No clue. I only watched bits and pieces of the movie.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-28-2005, 11:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sounds like a cucumber would be an interesting addition to an aquarium if I'm prepared to accept certain risks. But, like BDAWG said, "I think my tank will do just fine without one." I can't see putting my tank at risk just to add a curiosity. Thanks for all the advice! So.... forget the cucumber, what would you folks suggest as a bottom cleaner?

1 Emperor 280 Bio-Wheel Filter
2 Hagen Aquaclear 802 Powerheads with Quick Filters
1 AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
1 200 watt Heater
52 pounds of Live Rock
2 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Ocelaris Clownfish
1 Hairy Mushroom Coral
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
8 Dwarf Hermit Crabs
10 Turbo Snails
10 Margarita Snails
5 Cerith Snails
5 Bumblebee Snails
1 Queen Conch
johnd4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:08 AM   #13
steve-s

I'm not trying to scare you out of keeping them, just wanted to be sure that you are informed of what could happen, not what will.

That said, I have two myself. The Black knobby and pink/black Hawaiian have been in my 90 gal for many years. The Sea apple however had to go

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
I'm not trying to scare you out of keeping them, just wanted to be sure that you are informed of what could happen, not what will.
Oh you didn't scare me away. I just don't want to risk it at this time. When I become a little more advanced in the art of reefing I definitely want to get one. They are very cool. 8)
Old 03-01-2005, 09:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Where did you get the info on the eggs? I have never heard about this and I curious.
Has anyone ever seen this happen in a tank? Or is this just one of those tails that spreads around?
The white stuff in the the Jack *** movie is the cuke spitting up its guts to scare away the threat..... They can die after this but most regrow there guts in the wild. In a tank I can not say.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:07 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've never heard about the eggs either. But everyone I talked to said they do release toxins when stressed.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:44 PM   #17
steve-s

I'm actually not in the habit of spreading "stories". I have personally had it happen with a Sea apple, a close relative of cukes. Both species are broadcast spawners and the female will release her eggs into the water column. Once the eggs are broken, the toxins are released and the level of toxicity rises as more eggs are destroyed. No amount of carbon or water changes will make a difference either.

Even if your home and see it happen, there's little you would be able to accomplish before the damage is done.

AFAIK, they are not capable of releasing toxins into the water as a means of defense, they simpley spit out the gut. The toxins are related to the eggs only.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-01-2005, 10:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

So they don't release toxins when stressed? I learn something new everyday I'm on this site.

How do you know when they are going to release their eggs? Is there anything you can do to stop it? <---Stupid question, I know.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:18 PM   #19
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDAWG
So they don't release toxins when stressed? I learn something new everyday I'm on this site.
As I said they do not expel toxins but the body does however contain them. It is a deterent to natural predators trying to eat them. That's why they can be a danger when they die. The toxins are of no concern as long as they are healthy.

Quote:
How do you know when they are going to release their eggs? Is there anything you can do to stop it?
There is no way to tell if a cuke is about to spawn nor is there any way to stop it short of it being removed from the tank.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-03-2005, 08:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am not saying your spreading stories I just wanted to read up on this... Checked google and there is a ton of info on breeding cukes... They are bread in captivity for food and other uses.. Very interesting.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cuc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com