let's talk iodine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
Should I add iodine to my tank? Do I test for iodine? Can I overdose iodine? What are the pluses and minuses?

Thanks!

Never dose anything that you don't test for. Way dangerous thing to do. I always test just before I dose. I haven't ever dosed iodine. I have the test kit and the iodine JIC. I've tested twice now and haven't really made hide or tail of the test results yet, lol. Needless to say I haven't dosed it. So far the only things I've added to my system are Ca/Alk.

Iodine is a very damgerous thing to dose. You can easily overdose it and end up with big problems. Regualr and frequent water changes will help keep your iodine at the appropriate level.

Iodine is a trace, which is why regular water changes should keep it in check. definitely don't dose it until you've tested with a quality brand test kit (Salifert, SeaChem) and know you have a deficiency that water changes can't keep up with (common in very large reef tanks with lots of hard corals).

Back
Top Bottom