Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2005, 10:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just finished installing my filterdirect 6 stage filter. Installation was *fairly* easy however I have yet to complete a plumbing project without, oh say, 5 or 10 leaks ! This was no exception! . Don't let that discourage anyone, though, cause I'm sure it's just me.

Now that it's up and running, I am pretty happy with it. Let me just say that 100gal per day doesn't exactly flow from the spigot! More like a slow trickle. I guess that's right because I'm getting about 4 gallons an hour. It just surprised me at how slow it dispensed.

I need to order a TDS meter next to check quality. Anyone know how long you can safely store saltwater? Not sure If I should mix it and hold it or just hold RO/DI and mix the day or so before I plan a water change.

Thanks!

120g RR, 65g HOB and 10g sump, 150g frag tank, 100g sump. Highlights of live stock: Golden Moray eel, 2 purple tangs, 2 yellow tangs, 1 large copperband, 4 GSM's, dragon wrasse, barnacle blenny, 2 pajama cards, 3 green chromis and a dynamic assortment of soft & LPS corals.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:21 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I let mine run into a rubbermaid tub. I keep it for a long time. It eventually gets used up as top-offs. You should always keep enough on hand soyou can do an emergency water change if needed. You do not really need to worry about shelf-life. I am sure you will use it up as needed. A TDS meter is a good investment. It will let you know how your filter is doing and when it is time to change them.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:36 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just installed the famous ebay filterdirect 6 stage RO/DI this weekend!

I was tickled with it! No problems what so ever installing the system. I have it running into a 30 gallon commericial rubbermaid trash can. I got the automatic stop float valve...when it is full...it stops!

I also got the $25 TDS meter from filterdirect. My house well water was 150ppm....I tested my RO/DI water 2 hours after I started it up...and it was down to 4ppm. I used all that water....and the next day I tested it again...and guess what.... ZERO ppm (like none). I thought the TDS meter was not working...but it worked...as my well water was still 150ppm! I could not be more happy!

110 Gallon/day sounds like a lot...but it is just a trickle. I filled my 30 gallon trash can overnight though. You just can't watch it or it will take for ever.

I will be useing my RO/DI for my Freshwater 90gallon (50:50 Mix with Tap water), and 100% for my SW tank. I also have plenty of RO/DI to share with friends!

Best $90 I have spent so far (...well $90 + $25 shipping + $15 float turn off + $15 additional DI packet + $25 TDS meter + $10 Saddle Valve with tubing from Lowes + $25 commerical trash Can + $15 for 2x7 gallon jugs for carrying and mixing SW)...so it came to $220 for just the RO/DI setup...don't tell my wife!

WC

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Best $90 I have spent so far (...well $90 + $25 shipping + $15 float turn off + $15 additional DI packet + $25 TDS meter + $10 Saddle Valve with tubing from Lowes + $25 commerical trash Can + $15 for 2x7 gallon jugs for carrying and mixing SW)...so it came to $220 for just the RO/DI setup...don't tell my wife!
LOL! WhiteCloud! I see my setup jumping up to about the same amount. Fortunately my wife is as addicted as I am so spending is *generally* sanctioned!

120g RR, 65g HOB and 10g sump, 150g frag tank, 100g sump. Highlights of live stock: Golden Moray eel, 2 purple tangs, 2 yellow tangs, 1 large copperband, 4 GSM's, dragon wrasse, barnacle blenny, 2 pajama cards, 3 green chromis and a dynamic assortment of soft & LPS corals.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com