Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Let's talk RO/DI fileter for a moment, please

I'm tired of lugging water from WalMart/LFS to my house, so it's time to pull the triger on an RO/DI unit.

I've been researching/reading about them for the past month, and really started looking more in depth over the past week. I have a few questions I hope some of you more experienced aquarist can help me with.

In my lookings I am running across many different options. 3 stage, 4 stage, all the way upto 6 stages. I know I want the DI option but what do all these stages mean and do I need something with all 6 stages?

To me it would seem the more stages, the more pure water you get, but at the cost of replacing more filters/membranes more often. So manufactures state you should replace the filters every 6 months, other state 12 months.

So whats the deal with stages and filter replacement? Will a 4 stage make my water "clean" enough for my tank or do I really need to consider more stages.

And let's talk brand names for a moment as well. What makes say the Kent worth $250 compared to say the Coralife for $150 or the eBay deals for $100? As I understand it, it's all about the filters/membranes used and all seem to run just about the same type. And I've also heard the same manufacture produces the untils for Kent, Seachem, Coralife, etc. Any truth to this?

Sorry for the long post... just want to get a better idea of what people here think before I make this purchase.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-09-2005, 09:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just bought one of the 6-stage deals from e-Bay (filterdirect was the seller). I'm expecting it here in a day or so. I'll let you know how it works once I hook it up.

I made my decision based on the premise that more stages makes cleaner water. Also, I liked the fact that you could refill some of the stages rather than having to outright replace them.

I read some positive feedback from others here which helped seal the deal.

120g RR, 65g HOB and 10g sump, 150g frag tank, 100g sump. Highlights of live stock: Golden Moray eel, 2 purple tangs, 2 yellow tangs, 1 large copperband, 4 GSM's, dragon wrasse, barnacle blenny, 2 pajama cards, 3 green chromis and a dynamic assortment of soft & LPS corals.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have the 6-stage from filterdirect off ebay. You won't be dissappointed. Water measures well and beats my tap or even fridge filtered water for a drink.

Filterdirect recommends 12months for the filters and 2-3 years for the DI.

It's been in 5 weeks and no problems yet.

I've saved at least $100 worth of store water since I've had it.

--Logan
Old 01-10-2005, 01:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I might buy one too, but I get my water filtered from the ocean an just need RO watter to top my tank off (1/2 Gallon a day).
Would it make sense to buy one for me or will it not work because of the low usage.
swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had the filterdirect one from ebay and I am pretty happy with it. As to when do you need to change out the filters, it depends on the usage. You definitely need a TDS meter together with the RO/DI system. Use your TDS meter to determine when you need to change the filter
Old 01-10-2005, 11:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the Kent Marine Maxima four stage RO/DI an am happy with it. It is rated at 50 gal/day, but filters far more then that. Make sure you check out some of the sponsors above as well. It is a great investment and sure beats lugging H2O from the LFS. It is nice to have water when you want it and need it.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I have an Aquasafe Canada 100 gpd unit. It is a 6 stage but the final stage is post DI filter so it is not really needed for a fish tank. I have had no issues with the unit and I also bought a TDS meter, replacement filters and a booster pump at the same time.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Does one need a pressure gauge with these units, or will just the TDS meter tell you when it's nearing time for replacement?

I see some units come with the pressure gauge and was wondering if it was an advantage to have one.

I'm on county water, not a well, so I know my pressure it good in my house.

Thanks for all the response so far!
Old 01-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
I have an Aquasafe Canada 100 gpd unit. It is a 6 stage but the final stage is post DI filter so it is not really needed for a fish tank.
I bought the same unit, works great!

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-10-2005, 07:47 PM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpec
Does one need a pressure gauge with these units, or will just the TDS meter tell you when it's nearing time for replacement!
The better your water pressure the lower the TDS as a rule (higher rejection rate). I'd only suggest something like a pressure guage if you suspect poor water pressure. If you turn on a tap and you only get a bit of a run and no real force, a booster might be needed. Once you get a unit hooked up it'll show a higher TDS than it would if you had good pressure. It also depends on your tap waters TDS and if you opted for the DI stage.

Just be sure you let the unit run without connecting the tubing to the RO stage for a good 15 min to flush the sediment filters. If you get the storage tank, you'll also need to empty it once or twice before you get a solid TDS reading. My unit reads 0-1 TDS.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com