Lettuce In The Tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all! I am sure that this has been discussed a million times but here it goes. I have a 75 gallon tank (3 week old), 105pds LR, two flame scallops, two yellow tailed damsel's, two Domino Damsel's, a baby anenome, 16 hermit crabs, and a percula Clown.
Can I put lettuce in the Tank? I have heard this somewhere.
How do I do it, how much, and how often?
Will it get the ammonia up?
What are some other things I can feed the fish?

I am very new at this, 3 weeks new! The flame scallops were attached to the LR when I got it. They seem to be doing fine. There always open and have long beautiful tenticles. I understand their hard to keep.

All of my levels (ph,nitrite,nitrate, and ammonia) are ok. They are all pretty close to 0 and the ph is 8.2.

I am about to take the damsels back to the LFS, they are mean! Should I take them all back or what? The Bigger ones are very aggresive.

Lot of info, I know. Thanks!!! :wink:

WOW, 3 weeks old and you have lots of stuff in there that should only be put in a very mature tank...

As for the letuce, i read it's empty calories for the fish. Try to use Nori, dried seaweed. You can get it @ the local stores in the oriental section. Look and see if it's toasted or not. I use the untoasted.

I don't see that you have any fish that would benifit all that much from any seaweed or lettuce (I agree with the previous statement not very nutritional) addition. If you want to balance out the fishes diet a little, try adding some spirulina flake to the mix, or make a decent quality homemade fish food, where you control the ingredients ;)

Good answers thanks alot! The LFS said that they would not use flakes, and that they don't because it will make the ammonia build quicker. Is this true? I know it is probably just one mans opinion. I would love to use flake food.

Also, what do you think about what I said about the damsels? Should they all go back, or keep one or what? The younger damsels are not very aggressive (2 of them) The bigger ones pick on each other, the smaller ones, and NEMO! I think that they stressed out my P. Clown.

Thanks for the expert advice. This is an awesome community!! :wink:

I would take all the damsels back, not just the bigger ones. As you have seen, they can be very aggressive.

I would also recommend taking the anemone back as well... they need a mature tank with very high lighting (VHO/MH) in order to survive.

Back
Top Bottom