lettuce nudibranche advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok I was wondering if there was anything special that I need to know about these guys.. I have read and found that they mainly feed on algae.. Which is the reason I want one.. Clean up the left over Hair algae a little bit quicker than my 2 astreas.. I know that once the Hair algae is gone I am going to have to supplement with alternatives foods.. This is a reef tank and I was planning on getting just one of these as thats all the LFS has at the moment.. If the LFS that I mainly do business with gets some in I will most likely be picking up 2 of them.. Please advise of any concerns that I may have as I plan on picking up at least 1 tomorrow..

Thanks In Advance,
James

I know that once the Hair algae is gone I am going to have to supplement with alternatives foods.

Actually, once the hair algae is gone, you will need to find it a new home, as these nudi's have specialized diets, and they will not accept any other type of food. This is the primary concern with these guys - other than the fact that they are easily injured by PH's.

HTH,

Ok so I should see If when my hair algae is all cleaned up If I could take them back to the LFS??? My Ph's are fine and well protected so that wont be an Issue.. There is nothing these can be fed besides Hair Algae??

TIA,
James

Ok so I should see If when my hair algae is all cleaned up If I could take them back to the LFS?

That would probably be the best idea.

There is nothing these can be fed besides Hair Algae??

They may eat some types of Caulerpa, but I am not positive. That is the problem with most nudibranchs in captivity - they are extremely specialized eaters.

Before all the hair algae is gone try a test with a few different types of caulerpa easily accessable to you. I would as well suggest placing some nori wrapped on a small rubble rock and see if the lettuce nudi will take to that.

Best to check these things before your out of natural foods, then you once the hair algae is gone you know the nudi must go back.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom