LEttuce Nudis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sicklidkid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, i would like to get a couple of lettuce nudis fo my tank to help with my hair algae. I have a 55 gallon tank with 80 lbs of rock. The inhabitants are an ocellaris clown, an algae blenny, some emerald crabs, a toadstool leather, a bluetux urchin and some snails and hermits. WOuld a lettuce nudi work in my tank? Can someone tell me about their expiriences with them. Also i have not seen them in any stores around here. Does anyone know any sites that sell them or a store near sanjose california that carries them?
THANKS!

I had two both died in awful powehead accidents... I would say avoid them, its hit or miss if they will eat or not and also protect all intakes to anything that can shred them because they manage to find their ways into the dandest places. Since they are slugs they can change a good portion of the body width and length.

I agree with Iziarek. I've had several and the first ones did a pretty good job on the hair algae but the ones after that wouldn't touch it. I had several get into powerheads and filter intakes. I even had one somehow get into the powerhead flow adjustment wheel. They are very cool but not long lived in my experience. If your set on getting some, Saltwaterfish.com sells them.

I have heard from other people they work. But once all the hair algae are gone they starve.

Hmmmm so the general consensus is that they are a bad idea? The reason i would like them is to help with the hair algae, other than these does anyone know of anything that will eat hair algae? Currently my hermits, snails, 4 emeralds and my algae blenny have not helped it too much. I am just trying to get it under control. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

Try aquatic gallery in Milpitas -- I think that I've seen them there before. I'm pretty sure that I haven't seen them anywhere else in SJ/surrounding area and I've been to most of the stores around here.

You can always get them online...

Tropical Paradise in San Leandro might have them lettuce nudi.
I really like aquatic gallery. I think they get a great selection of SPS corals. Only thing is that the store is crampt for spac.

I'm in the east bay by pleasanton

Tropical Paradise in San Leandro might have them lettuce nudi.
I really like aquatic gallery. I think they get a great selection of SPS corals. Only thing is that the store is crampt for spac.

I'm in the east bay by pleasanton

Ok i think ill check out the aquatic gallery. So if i can find them do you guys think i should give them a try? I really need something on this hair algae fast!

Check with Bang Guy, I believe he has had good success keeping lettuce nudi's. You can also look into tuxedo urchins (Mespilia globulus). They willl not ruin coralline but will definately mow down longer growing algae. FWIW, most nuisance green algae are the result of higher PO4 or possibley the tank is still young yet.

Cheers
Steve

Well i am trying to get an RO unit for christmas, but i am trying to ge it undercontrol right now. I already have a blue tux urchin he is really cool but hasnt halped that much with the algae.

The ideal thing to do would be to find out what is causing the hair algae and to elminate it at the source, easier said than done. Go ahead and give the nudi's a try. I would nudi proof your intakes by covering them with a sponge or wraping some mesh needlepoint canvas around them.

Ok, well i am pretty sure the problem is that i am not using RO water... :oops: . I know i should be. I think i am going to ask for an RO unit for christmas. So I just want to try and keep it under control until i get one. I am not looking for the nudis to totally cure my tank of hair algae, just to keep it at bay for awhile. I also called aquatic gallery... they didnt have lettuce nudis, but i dont know if you have been to dolphin pet village, but they are getting some in on wednesday. I will get some sponges for the intakes before i get them. Thanks again for all your help!

Hmm, i will try and get out there but i am not sure if i will be able to. thanks for the heads up though.

A Rainford's goby will take care of your hair algae. From a web site...

Australian Rainfordi Goby

BEST FISH TO RID A TANK OF HAIR ALGAE!
The perfect fish for the reef environment, beautiful in your reef tank AND one of the best hair algae eaters.

Extremely Hardy
Great in Reef or Community Tanks

Back
Top Bottom