Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

levels of ammonia

I cycled my reef tank for a week and decided to add a damsel and a xenia coral...after performing PH . ammonia , nitrite and nitrate test I saw my ammonia is between 0.25 and 0.50 ppm.. are my new friends in trouble? if so, what should I do?

Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes they are, large water changes will keep the amm down but will prolong your cycle (that's what you get for rushing! A longer cycle) there are products you can add to lock ammonia usually not recommended but since you have livestock it might be a good idea. My advice is to take it slow, nothing good happens fast In Saltwater how big is the tank? Just so you are aware damsels are aggressive fish and don't get along with most other species so keep that in mind when looking at other livestock...

Old 10-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check out one of AA's articles on cycling:

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice
Old 10-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
Yes they are, large water changes will keep the amm down but will prolong your cycle (that's what you get for rushing! A longer cycle) there are products you can add to lock ammonia usually not recommended but since you have livestock it might be a good idea. My advice is to take it slow, nothing good happens fast In Saltwater how big is the tank? Just so you are aware damsels are aggressive fish and don't get along with most other species so keep that in mind when looking at other livestock...
really?!! wow...I got poor advice at a aquarium store, they told me it was safe. I currently have a 30 gallon tank. Should I just leave it alone than, until it completely cycles? because I really don't want make things worst by adding chemicals.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

No traceable levels of ammonia is safe for fish, having said that damsels are hardy little meanies so it might make it through. Do you have your own test kits? Liquid ones? It is best you test water yourself and do plenty of research, this is a great forum for advice if you are not sure about anything. Remember pet stores are out to make money and unfortunately they can give questionable advice to make a sale. What is your plans for the tank? What does your set up look like?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #6

Yes i have my own liquid tests..im jus not sure if i need anymore because like i mentioned, im new to this...i have plans of puttin an awesome reef tank with a nice amount of corals to give it beautiful color..i want to place fish but a reasonable amount because i dont want my fishes to feel cramped up in a 30 gallon..but im really focusing on lots of coral..

Heres how it looks right now after 9 days
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3254255487.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	200805
Old 10-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah...really bad advice from the LFS. It will almost always take 4-6 weeks for a tank to properly cycle. There are additives with bacteria that can speed that up (less than a week using Dr Tim's One & Only). How were you cycling the tank?

Knowing that your LFS is questionable, I suggest using sites like this moving forward. These are experienced people that are not out to make a buck off of you. Another good resource when it comes to picking fish is liveaquaria.com. Pay attention to both compatibility and suggested minimum tank sizes.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Yeah...really bad advice from the LFS. It will almost always take 4-6 weeks for a tank to properly cycle. There are additives with bacteria that can speed that up (less than a week using Dr Tim's One & Only). How were you cycling the tank?

Knowing that your LFS is questionable, I suggest using sites like this moving forward. These are experienced people that are not out to make a buck off of you. Another good resource when it comes to picking fish is liveaquaria.com. Pay attention to both compatibility and suggested minimum tank sizes.
+1. its prob in your best interest to just accept beforehand that most LFS will give you misleading or completely wrong info (intentionally or unintentionally). if possible, id find a suitable temporary home for the damsels and coral, then go about cycling your tank properly. you don't want to get started off on the wrong foot in this hobby because it can get expensive really quick. (more so than normal). also id recommend a source of RODI water if you are planning on going heavy on the corals. also a decent skimmer
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #9

I was basically doing the normal thing which was the live sand, threw some live rock in there, the perfect amount of salt, i do have a instant ocean protein skimmer a heater which keeps the water at about 79-80 F, a Rio + 400 aqua pump power head for circulation, and a solarmax H.O for lighting..since i started off with a regular tank that use to be for fresh water fish i use a fluval 206 canister filter..i also checked my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate a lil while ago and they seemed to go down..the ammonia is a 0ppm nitrite is also at 0ppm, and my nitrate went up to 10ppm..but i dont kno how long thats going to last..
Old 10-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #10

As for my domino damsel i havent seen em all day 😔

Tags
ammonia, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com