LFS Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
spartan said:
I have a beginner question?Are pwc.s performed with Water that has been purified?

You can use tap water, but you have to remove the chlorine with a water conditioner. If you use Stress Coat or Prime, it may cause your skimmer to produce extra bubbles, so get one without slime coat in it, just a conditioner. However, tap water has a lot of metals and junk in it. I used it for some time before getting an RO/DI unit and my fish were fine, but ro/di water is better. I'm sure my fish are healthier.

The other option is to buy water from your lfs. Petco has it now in boxes. My lfs gets theirs from the ocean about 65 miles from my home and it is actual ocean water. It's expensive at about $1.00 or so per gallon. An RO/DI unit will pay for itself in a very short time. You save time as well as money.

I have seen people pull up to my lfs with 33 gallon trash cans in their pickups and the lfs pulls out a hose and fills up the cans.

I'm just too spoiled for that, I have my own ro/di unit! (lol!)

It's better to have your own filtration system anyways because it saves you your time and gas money. Plus, if there would be an emergency wherein you need bigger than usual PWCs then you have that leisure at your disposal by having your own filtration unit.

One of these days I will afford the RO/DI. For now I have this $700-industrial grade home countertop filter from Carico:

FILNUTR.jpg

It's a multistage filtration system that has (1) Sub-micron ceramic prefilter, (2) Full Spectrum adsorbent, (3) some other microfiltration devices. It promises to remove chlorine, bromoform, nitrate, THM pesticides, insecticides, sulfides and heavy metals.

FILCART.jpg

I use that for my countertop and I have been using the water there for 2 years now. I have filtered anywhere from 2800 - 4000 Gallons of water with this and is still strong.The Multi-Stage filtration cartridge has a lifetime warranty and the ceramic is cleanable. You'd be surprised at the fecal-colored stuff it catches at the prefilter. The water it produces is good for the fish and good for me. It was worth the money.

Ro/di is the way to go. Tap water always has unwanted chems and metals that are not good for your tank. I`ve never put tap in my tank which is also another reason why I probably never had an algea problem along with the UV and feeding regimine I have. I`m tired of paying for my RO/DI so in Feb. I will be ordering My own ro/di unit. No more going to LFS for salt and fresh water. :D

It sure makes it easier, I'm "making" water as we speak. For the system I got on ebay for like $100, it was worth it.

Tell me about UV filtration. What's the benefit of that besides killing parasites???

Just from my own experience (i'm no expert) I have a 55 gallon that has only a clown and royal gramma. I lost a few fish to something about 6 months ago. I did a 50 and 2 25% water changes in a week and a half. Since then Nothing. I had the LFS test the water for everything they could test for (cal, iod, molyb, nitrate, nitrite, amm, and other I can't remember) All were within normal parameters. My coraline has taken off since I left the tank alone. My Bta has splt twice. And all other corals except my Black sun polys are thriving. This is a lightly stocked tank!!!! So this is not the norm. But for me, water changes will only be done when I see it necessary for the levels of stuff in the water to either be removed or replentished.

MYTY1705 said:
I had the LFS test the water for everything they could test for (cal, iod, molyb, nitrate, nitrite, amm, and other I can't remember) All were within normal parameters. My coraline has taken off since I left the tank alone. My Bta has splt twice. And all other corals except my Black sun polys are thriving. This is a lightly stocked tank!!!! So this is not the norm. But for me, water changes will only be done when I see it necessary for the levels of stuff in the water to either be removed or replentished.

That is about how my tank has been. I have not had anything serious happen. Sure my mandrine dragonnet died, but she was getting old and one of my corals ate my lawnmower blenny... it was the elephant ear coral btw.

Here are some photos of my tank. Does yours have major macro growth like mine?

Attachments

• tank_photos_left_side.jpg
    tank_photos_left_side.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 31
  • tank_photos_right_side.jpg
    tank_photos_right_side.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 39
Nope, only 35-40 lbs of live rock. It give credit to mostly being a low stocked tank. I got tired of wanting too many fish, so decided on two for the time being until I transfere to my 29 gallon. Then will add on more fish and lots , lots, lots of corals!!!!
No pics of the anemone splitting. I sold the two splits to the LFS. I only need one as he moves a lot and did not want to have them all over the place messing up what few corals I do have.

JP. your algae made my algae problem look mediocre. Wow, those are some serious gigantic leaves of algae. I only have those thin hairy algae. However, they still make my SW tank look like freshwater pond or something. It's unattractive....

First off, Thank you and God Bless to you and your husband for serving our country, I myself am getting ready for a trip to the desert, and I am in the process of looking for a qualified friend to loan a tank to. But any way,,,,

Something to think about that might make life easier, Perhaps you can set up a pump system allowing you to simply siphon out some water, and pump fresh new water back in, then all you would have to do is roll out the hose.

I am not sure if anything like that exists, but I am sure you could rig something up, for not a whole lot of money.

I think something like this would be very benificial in your situation.
This may even pay for its self in the long run, as you would not be paying LFS to come out and do it.

Just a thought

Perhaps some of the old salts know of something,

AMANIQU77 said:
JP. your algae made my algae problem look mediocre. Wow, those are some serious gigantic leaves of algae. I only have those thin hairy algae. However, they still make my SW tank look like freshwater pond or something. It's unattractive....

I do not see the algae growth I have to be a problem. It is natural and when you dive you see similar things. I do not understand how people can want their tanks to look so algae free, it looks unnatural. Most of the algae you see is culurpa, which is benifical in a sw tank. I just have not been able to harvest it at all. I usually cut it back a tad, but not much.

Macro algae is very good for your system, it eats away the bad stuff in the water and protects your fish. I would only be concerned if I had cyanobacteria.

I agree if it is macro. but the algea that most people have to deal with is not macro. It`s the bad algea that does not look natural and will wreck your tank if left unchecked.

Back
Top Bottom