Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2005, 12:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Welcome friend!

LR will help any tank no matter if it's a fowlr or fully loaded reef.

I personally don't like mechanical filtration and I just run a skimmer and change 5 gal of water weekly. My aquarium is coming up on its 3rd month and the only losses I have had was 2 clowns I purchased from a neglegent LFS and they had brooknylla. (RIP)

Sump/Fuge is ALWAYS a great idea no matter what type of tank. I personally don't run one but I have been doing research to purchase one in the future.

For LR purchasing, if you can find some argrocrete man made rock that is the enviormentally friendly way of doing it(plus you get some really great peices that are hard to find in the natural stuff)
I believe it can be found on garf.org. You may also want to look into making your own LR(dramatically cuts down on rock cost)

This forum has pretty much saved my life in regards to aquarium success. I hope these responses have answered your question. HTH good luck!

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
WHAT?!?!?
Wow. was this at a PetCo? lol
I agree with everyone here. Use live rock. you dont need live sand because you can seed the sand with the LR but you can get it anyway. just make sure the sand you use is aragonite NOT silicate.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Regarding new LR -- For my initial supply of LR, do I have to cure it outside of the tank, or can I just cure it as part of the initial cycling process (before any fish are added to the new tank)?

I understand any future LR would need to be cured before being added to the established tank.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

you can cure it in the tank while cycling and if you wanna put more live rock later on you can add it right to the tank as long as it is not a large amount without having any dramatic negative results. HTH
Old 11-09-2005, 04:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends on where you get it. If it's ordered online and shipped to you, I would QT it for a few weeks just in case. Test periodically to see if you get any spikes. If you buy it locally, ask your lfs if it's cured or not. I'd still QT it for a few days and test just in case though.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would use the LR to cycle the tank, killing 2 birds with one stone. the cycle and curing of LR.
Agree with others, find a new LFS for advise.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff
Depends on where you get it. If it's ordered online and shipped to you, I would QT it for a few weeks just in case. Test periodically to see if you get any spikes. If you buy it locally, ask your lfs if it's cured or not. I'd still QT it for a few days and test just in case though.
I'm sorry, I misread your posts. You definately can use it to cycle the tank with.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the advice everybody. I really appreciate it.

I'm assuming 45 pounds of LR should do the trick for a 35 gallon? Probably gonna go with the $90 deal from LiveAquaria.com. I know there's better stuff to be had, but I think it'll be a good start... And I really don't want to give $5.99 a pound to the LFS who thinks it's a "waste of time" for me.

The next question is how much lighting do I realistically need to start a FOWLR tank?

I'm trying to balance economy against future reef possibilities, but I can't realistically afford a full-blown PC or MH setup right now. Would I be okay with a two-bulb 50/50 and Actinic setup to start with? I understand I'll need more later on.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:28 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Let's see.......first.....try and picture your tank with 45-70 lbs of live rock in it. How much room will your fish have to swim in? Along with that, since the majority of your internal tank volume will be consumed with rock, how many fish do you think you'll be able to put in it? second..........with all that LR in it and all the nitrification going on, what do you think the chances will be that you'll be free of hair and other algae growing wild because you don't have a skimmer or some other kind of mechanical filtration to remove waste and export nutrients that WILL be given off by the rock including the ever loving nutrient PHOSPHATE?..............and you'll need massive circulation to keep the detritus in suspension so it can be captured by some kind of filter to get rid of it because it won't be able to break down fast enough............so with sand you'll and all the circulation you'll need you'll have massive sand storms..........CC will not give you that problem because it has weight to it. Don't let anybody fool you......sand collects and retains detritus also. Your tank will look like a rocky mountain snowstorm if you have the proper circulation. Third.....refugium.....why? Your LFS guy is right...........for his suggestion of faux rock at least, because you won't have the nutrient problem therefore you wouldn't need a vehicle for nutrient export. With LR in the tank, the skimmer will do that for you and as far as the bak/pak combo.........not a bad choice.........you'll get nutrient export and mechanical filtration.

Your LFS guy trying to KISS it for you.

Your local guy isn't far off track..........he just didn't explain it very well to you
Old 11-09-2005, 11:21 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I appreciate your insight Don. But I don't plan on putting anywhere near 70 pounds of LR in this 35-gallon tank. I'm considering buying a total of 45 pounds because the price is attractive and what I've read about the rock here indicates that it's decent. I may not even end up using all 45 pounds.

Regarding a skimmer, I do plan on getting one. But I don't know if I'm sold on the necessity of mechanical filtration in addition.

As far as faux rock goes, I really have no desire to go that route. I *do* want to have some corals in the tank. I would also like to keep open the option of making the tank a full reef setup in the future. Going with anything other than LR seems to eliminate this possibility, at least if I don't want to have to replace the faux rock with LR later on -- thus incurring even greater trouble and expense than getting what I want from the outset.

Sand: Again, CC might be okay in the short term, but it simply doesn't fit with my long-term goals.

You're right in the sense that the LFS guy was trying to keep things simple. He simply didn't bother to find out what I wanted out of this endeavor -- and that turned me off, big time. I was asking for assistance and advice from him, not a set of instructions for building the tank HE thought I should have.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com