lfs advice true/false

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michellej

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went to the lfs the otherday to talk to them about stocking my tank they said if I put in fish that are aggressive algea eaters like triggers or large angles, to not do lr. They said to just do rock. Is that okay? I have not done anything yet, meaning no fish in the tank and no rock in the tank.

Hmm, I don't understand their theory on no live rock. It will get picked at by the fish due to their constant grazing. Without the live rock, after some time, the "not live rock" will also grow algae and they will pick at it too. I would do a mix of live and base rock/lace rock.

With my experience in my 72 bowfront I would disagree. I have prob about 100lbs of live rock in there. I have had both triggers and angels in there with very little problems. Yeah, sometimes they will graze and nip at the rock, but not to the extent that it is a problem. I would worry about angels if your rock has sponges as this is a natural food source for them. I would say go for it, however I would buy some really good "live rock" with good coloring and coraline, and then buy a bunch of the cheaper base rock. Give it time and it will be "live rock" and the coraline will spread. If you are not in a rush this will be alot cheaper.

Good luck

they said if I put in fish that are aggressive algea eaters like triggers or large angles, to not do lr
Neither of these fish are aggressive algae eaters for one. They both can and will each corals, maybe thats what they were saying.
If you want a trigger, forget about inverts. They will pick at them :wink: .
These are big fish you are talking about, what size tank?

When it comes to corals it will depend on what type of Trigger, the Angel I would question with the corals.

Triggers love Nori so you could hang Nori in the tank for your trigger, I just hand feed my trigger Nori daily, I offer my Pinktail a Long Strip of Nori and my Trigger eats it like a piece of spaghetti.

Sponge would be great for the Angel to pick at on your LR, you can buy a Frozen Angel food that has sponge in it.

It depends on the size of your tank when it comes to both of these fish........

Kaye

my tank size is 125 and i only planned on putting in either a trigger or an angel. Do you think that there is enough room for me to put in both?

Depending on which Trigger and Angel you get, you should be able to do both. I would second the addition of LR. There is nothing better for filtration.
What type of Trigger and Angel are you looking at getting?

Mike

Back
Top Bottom